I'm pregnant and I want to be emancipated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xondluv23

I will be 17 in July and I am 7 months pregnant. I want to be emancipated. I do not live at home right now. I live at the Baptist Children's Home in Owasso. My parents told me I could leave from here and go home on my birthday next month but they have just recently changed their mind. I want to move out of here so badly but they say they won't let me. So I have been looking at apartment prices, buying a cheap, used car, medical expences. One of my good friends offered me to live with her and her mom. We have the same job and same hours so until I get my car we could go together everyday. I can use the Indian Hospital in Claremore for all me and my baby's medical needs, and I would be able to get on soonercare. I am currently on WIC and I use a First Nurse. So I am really trying to get proper care for me and my baby. I am doing my schooling online next year for free, I have already applied and been accepted. Also, my mom thought it might be a good idea for me to be emancipated because I would be eligible for different kinds of financial aide and get some extra help.

So with all of this being said, would I be able to get emancipated? I have a job, a place to live, and my medical stuff covered. Can I legally be emancipated? If not, what else would I need to do to become emancipated? How long does emancipation take?

What you WANT, and $3.80, can get you a Venti Mocha at Starbucks.

Here is the law in OK - Title 10, Chapter 4, Sections 91, 92, 93, and 94:

91. The district courts shall have authority to confer upon minors the rights of majority concerning contracts, and to authorize and empower any person, under the age of eighteen (18) years, to transact business in general, or any business specified, with the same effect as if such act or thing were done by a person above that age; and every act done by a person so authorized shall have the same force and effect in law as if done by persons at the age of majority.

92. Any minor desiring to obtain the rights of majority for the purpose named in Section 91 of this title may, by his next friend, file a verified petition in the district court of the county in which such minor shall reside, or, if the minor is a nonresident of the State of Oklahoma, said verified petition shall be filed in the county in Oklahoma where said minor owns real estate, setting forth the age of the minor petitioner and that said petitioner is then and has been a bona fide resident of such county for at least one (1) year next before the filing of the petition, or that said minor is a nonresident owning property within the State of Oklahoma, and the cause for which the petitioner seeks to obtain the rights of majority. The petition should state whether or not the parents of the minor are living, and if living, their names and addresses; whether or not a guardian has been appointed for the minor and, if a guardian has been appointed, the guardian's name and address; who has legal custody of the minor and, if the person having legal custody is not a parent or the guardian, the name and address of the person who has custody. And the district court being satisfied that the said petitioner is a person of sound mind and able to transact his affairs, and that the interests of the petitioner will be thereby promoted, may, in its discretion, order and decree that the petitioner be empowered to exercise the rights of majority for all purposes mentioned in this act.

93. When the petition mentioned in 10 O.S. 1971 Section 92 , is filed the court shall fix a day for the hearing thereof, which day shall be not less than fifteen (15) nor more than thirty (30) days from the date of the filing of the petition. Notice of the hearing of the petition shall be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, delivery restricted to addressee only, to the parents of the minor, if living, to the guardian of the minor, if one has been appointed, or to the person who has custody of the minor if such person is other than parent or guardian of the minor, and if both of the minor's parents are dead, the court may order that notice be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, delivery restricted to addressee only, to other relatives of the minor; provided, however, that no notice shall be sent to a person who endorses on the petition that notice of the day of the hearing is waived. Notice of the hearing shall be given by publication in some newspaper printed in the county where such petition is filed, and if there be none, then in some legal newspaper having a general circulation in the county one time, at least ten (10) days prior to the day set for the hearing of the said petition. Before the court may enter an order conferring majority rights in the hearing provided for herein, proof must be presented to the court at said hearing that notice was given to all persons entitled thereto as provided herein.

94. The costs of the proceedings under this Article shall be paid by the minor petitioner.
Note that getting pregnant underage is not going to impress a court with your level of responsibility. The court will also want to see that you can support yourself without being a burden on the state (i.e. no welfare) and that you can do so without relying on others.

Obtaining emancipation will not be easy and will require that you convince a court that it is in your best interests and that of your child to be. If your parents oppose the emancipation petition, it likely will not happen.

- Carl

Would my chances be that low even if my mom approved of it?
I am not planning on using welfare either.

Last edited:
If your parent(s) approve of your living outside of the home then you really dont need emancipation really. Your a pregnant teen yor not exactly showing you can make mature decisions well

When you got pregnant you pretty much eliminated any chance you ever had of being legally emancipated. Medically emancipated, yes - you can make your own health care decisions and those regarding your baby (with your doctor's help). But legally emancipated? Even WITH parental consent, ain't gonna happen, sugar.

In any case, emancipation in your state relates SOLELY to the ability to sign contracts and NOT to move out of the house.

Would my chances be that low even if my mom approved of it?
I am not planning on using welfare either.
What about dad?

Plus, you are already using welfare - you are on WIC and, presumably, First Nurse is a state-funded program as well. When you combine this with relying on others to survive, it does not bode well for independence.

Every situation is unique. You may be granted some autonomy, but that's uncertain. If cbg is correct, then you only will have limited rights to make your own decisions and this may not even include where you live.

Why is it that you feel the pressing need to become emancipated?

Where is the baby's father in all this? How much aid is he providing?

- Carl

I want to be emancipated because I don't want to live in this "girls home" anymore and I have been making good decisions and saving up the money from my job. The father is not involved anymore. He is providing no aide. He will be 17 in August. So he is a little bit younger than me. I have to use WIC while living here. I don't have a choice for that or a First Nurse. I am required to use that while I am here. And Soonercare has denied me twice but we know someone that works at the DHS office in Claremore that might be able to help me apply one more time and be accepted.

You didnt read anything anyone told you did you. Your state statute is very limited on this and fact your seeking outside aid pretty much removes any chance among other issues. Its not goi ng to happen so wait a year then you will be old enough to leave on your own

Emancipation is not granted because you want it. It is granted very, very rarely and in your state it will NOT accomplish what you want; all you have to do is read the statute.

Would you have preferred us to encourage you to try to do something we know you will not be able to accomplish? That the law does not permit? Would that have made you happier, for us to tell you sure, go ahead, you can get emancipated, and then later to find out that you couldn't? Would that have accomplished anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back