they reduced my wage...is that legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali97girl

In mid-January of this year, I was homebound for 2 months due to my work injury and as I was medically released to return to work half-time, I noticed that my paychecks were lacking more than I expected. The company reduced my hourly wage by $2.00 in addition to removing my lead position simply because I was not there and could not perform my usual job duties. I do understand the need to temporarily fill the lead position until I can return to work full-time, but is it really legal to reduce my wage when it wasn't my fault? Please help me to understand this. I haven't spoken to H.R. about it because I already get weird looks just for being on w.c. Can you help? :(

Last edited:
Workers comp is tricky. It might be different in California than here in Louisiana. They should not have reduced your wages. However, they have to bring you back at a comparable position than what you were at. I don't think $2.00 would have hurt the company. Now if you were making $150K a year and they brought you back making $20K then there would be a claim because it puts you in financial hardship.

If you are unable to perform the job that you were hired to do but instead are performing a lesser one, they may legally pay you the rate for the job you are doing instead of the one you used to do. Could that be what's happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back