Starting a business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celt42

Would someone please list the legal steps entailed in opening your own business? My fiancee and I have already started doing business, and it's snowballing rather quickly. It's not going to be possible to run it out of our home, and under the radar for much longer. I'm in the state of Oregon if that helps. Thank You!

Please go take a small business class at the community college. A lot of your questions will be answered there. Also, some communities have small business centers that are free to the public. You can get free accounting advice, legal advice etc. Have you tried the Small Business Administration's website?

It really depends on what your business is doing. Selling products or services. Because I have a biz selling products I can only tell you what I went through selling my book in L.A. county.

1. go to IRS.gov, get a FEIN,(Federal emloyment identification number) also called a tax ID #, you really only need it if you have employees, but it's safe to get so you don't have to use your social security # as your tax id# on your documents.

2. get a biz license from your county or city, call around

3. get a sellers permit from your city

4. get biz checking/banking account

5. get quickbooks with the instructional aid to record all your transactions/expenses

6. sell your product and include your city's local tax code

7.make billions
I hope this helps or sparks others to share their knowledge.

I saw your other post and I forgot to tell you step 1. register your dba name. I just googled dba forms and payed like $50 to one of those first 5 companies that register your dba name for you. I live in L.A county so I went to chamberofcommercejournal.com and I filled in my info online, payed, and they registered and published my business name in the newspaper for 4 weeks (mandatory). Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back