Is this a legally binding contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaltd

Greetings:
My tribe has been working hard to raise funds to purchase lands to replace ancestral lands lost to development. An owner of one such parcel was contacted and asked if he would sell us his parcel. He said he would sell the quarter acre parcel for $5000. I sent him a check by certified, signed receipt mail. On June 5, he called to state he received the check and was in the process of preparing the new deed and suddenly decided that due to an error on his part, he wants an additional $5000 or cancel the transaction. He is violating a verbal agreement and I believe now that he signed for the check, he is violating a written agreement as well. Am i correct?

Is the the signed acceptance of the check for the agreed price considered a legally binding contract? If so, if there a code or something I can present him with to inform him that he is legally obligated to honor the agreed upon transaction?

A signed receipt for certified mail only proves that he got the check, not that he agreed to the terms of your conversation. Google "Statute of Frauds".....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back