Collections For Hospital Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parent1

Had an elective operation in 11/2005. WAs told had to pay the hospital in full two weeks prior to the operation in order to get the operation. Have paid the physican in full in 2005 and the anesthesia doctor in full in 2005. Now receiving MANY calls from the hospital collections dept saying owe another $1200.00 I ask for a full breakdown of the extra charges more than once and receive a bill with no breakdown. I do not feel I owe as I had to pay up front to get the operation. What is the statute of limitations on a medical bill?

The answer is it depends on what state you live in. Usually the statue of limitations ranges from three to five years, but again, in your state can be less or more. A local lawyer should be able to give you the correct answer. But you should be careful - if the hospital chooses to bring litigation before the statue of limitations expires, the debt could become a judgment debt which would last much longer. Insist on having them send you a breakdown on what services they are trying to collect from you. If they don't provide you with that, them tell them that until they do so, you will have to direct them to your attorney. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back