Grandparents rights to visitation in califorina HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

htjgraham

I have a question regarding grandparents rights to visitation. My father-in-law is in general not a good person. He has threated me and my husband on several occasions. He has a bad temper and because of this we ( my husband and I ) have decided to limit his contact with our 16 month old son. This worked up until recently when my father-in-law decided that he wanted more contact with our son and wants to babysit and be alone with him. He is too much of a danger to our child and cannot allow this. Now he is threating to take us to court to seek visitation of our son. I am having another child in 3 weeks and am scared to death of him getting legal visitation of my children. What rights does he have to visitation?

He likely has no rights at all, especially on an intact family. If he is that much of a danger to the child then you need to cut off all contact with the kids.

For now thesare just threats but if you are served with papers, you must respond. How does your husband feel?

He is in agreement with me that right now he should not be seeing our son. The threats made before were most likely idol but when he is denied access to the hospital to see the new baby it will most likely push him over the edge and he will probably file for vistiation.

He likely has no rights at all, especially on an intact family. If he is that much of a danger to the child then you need to cut off all contact with the kids.

For now thesare just threats but if you are served with papers, you must respond. How does your husband feel?
Okay now I have another question. My father-in-law recently apoligized but he has done this before and nothing ever changes should I allow him some restricted access to my child? I am also thinking about banning him from the hospital when I have my next baby because of this and his behaivior in the past should I do this or is that going too far?

This is totally up to you but it sounds like grandpa has some issues. I would not allow him around the child personally. Also you do not have to allow him to see the child in the hospital. i don't know if you can prevent him from being in the waiting room but he has no rights to see the baby without your permission.

Thanks for the advice. About a day after I posted that he had appoligized things went downhill again and he is back to being a jerk like normal. Chances are he will not be allowed access to the new baby at the hospital and he will have alot of trust to earn back before he see's either one of my children again. I am thinking that if he can behave himself for a while around just my husband and I without our children present I might consider letting him see them. I hate to ban anyone from the birth of a baby but I feel like I have been left with no choice. I have to protect my children from what I believe to be a threat and unfortunately it means that he cannot see his grandchildren at least for right now. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back