Bank passed on counterfeit money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidelio

Yesterday, I withdrew money from my bank teller, only discover upon getting home that one of the $100 was counterfeit. I didn't notice at the time, but on the back of the bill (the teller gave all the bills to me face UP, odd) there was a stamp saying "COUNTERFEIT" but it was scratched out with a black marker.

I went back to the bank this morning with my withdrawal slip and the bill, only to be treated like I was a criminal and were extremely rude, embarrassing me in front of many customers.. Apparently, the teller called the bank manager, but did not speak English to the supposed bank manager, so how do I even know that's who she spoke to? Anyway, I told them that I'm aware of the fact that it's a federal offense to pass on counterfeit bills, and they gave the bill back to me, saying that I'm "just out $100 and there's nothing they can do" which I'm almost certain is illegal as well. When someone finds a counterfeit, they must confiscate the bill and contact the Secret Service immediately. How can a bank not be aware of that?

I know both exchanges were recorded on surveillance cameras, and this whole experience seemed extremely fishy. How should I proceed? I have already filed a report with the local Secret Service, but have yet to receive a response from them.

It is very hard to believe that a bank has passed a counterfit bill to a customer... A reasonable person would have counted the money right there on the spot in front of the teller or at the branch before leaving and probably would have spotted the difference at least on the type of paper used to falsify the bill.

If you have witnesses to the fact that when you got home and you were counting the money the bill that had the stamp counterfit on it was part of the withdrawal transaction, then consult a local attorney to see if you have a case and how you can proceed.

Again, the burden of proof is on you.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I absolutely counted the money in front of my teller, but in all honesty, if you're withdrawing $800 in $100 bills, do you stop and check each one to see if it's real or not?

I'd be willing to cooperate with law enforcement anyway I can, be it taking a lie detector test or whatever it takes - this shouldn't have happened.

If you feel that strongly about your case, then take it to a local lawyer so s/he can decide if you have a case to move forward with. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back