Grandparents Visitation Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilMacMommy

I'm hoping you can give me some advice. My husband passed away in September 2007 leaving me with full custody of our 2 year old twins. Prior to my husband's passing our family had a wedding, funeral, and holiday type relationship with his parents. After his passing I thought it was important for myself and the twins to maintain a relationship with his parents, but around December of 2007 there was a falling out between us. The last time our children saw their grandparents was on Christmas Eve. The in-laws have made no attempt to even contact the twins on any occasion. No holiday cards or phone calls until today. I received an email which sounded like it was a draft from a lawyer requesting visitation of the twins. They really do not know their paternal grandparents and I don't trust them to have unsupervised visitation. Do I have any rights? They didn't even attend the twins' baptism and have made no attempts to be grandparents in any sense of the word.

Should I hire a lawyer? I live in NYS and I don't think that visitation would be in the twins best interest as they really do not even know their paternal grandparents.

Thank you for any guidance/advice you can provide.

I'm hoping you can give me some advice. My husband passed away in September 2007 leaving me with full custody of our 2 year old twins. Prior to my husband's passing our family had a wedding, funeral, and holiday type relationship with his parents. After his passing I thought it was important for myself and the twins to maintain a relationship with his parents, but around December of 2007 there was a falling out between us. The last time our children saw their grandparents was on Christmas Eve. The in-laws have made no attempt to even contact the twins on any occasion. No holiday cards or phone calls until today. I received an email which sounded like it was a draft from a lawyer requesting visitation of the twins. They really do not know their paternal grandparents and I don't trust them to have unsupervised visitation. Do I have any rights? They didn't even attend the twins' baptism and have made no attempts to be grandparents in any sense of the word.

Should I hire a lawyer? I live in NYS and I don't think that visitation would be in the twins best interest as they really do not even know their paternal grandparents.

Thank you for any guidance/advice you can provide.

If they have little to no relationship with the twins, then that will count against their success in court. If they file in court for visitation, then I would get a lawyer. Right now, I think it just sounds like they hope you will be intimidated by the letter.

Rather than letting it progress to a legal battle, why not try to bury the hatchet? Perhaps they would welcome the three of you. Eventually, you may feel comfortable letting the twins visit without you for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back