Neighbors landscaper damages my yard and hedges (Westchester, NY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UWBadBadger1985

Hi, I hope some one can help me out with some advice and information.

My neighbor had his landscaper, an apparent jack of all trades but a master of none, cut down a very large tree that was just on the other side of my property line. In the process of taking this tree down, huge branches crashed in to my yard creating large holes and indentations (potentially damaging both my septic field and also loosening a retaining wall). In addition about 25 feet of 10 foot high hedge row on my property (which served as both my "fence" and privacy screen) was crushed and destroyed.

My questions are what are my rights in terms of compensation (filling in the holes in my yard, replacing the hedges, undetected damage to the septic field, and stress on the retaining wall), if any? I have asked the landscaper to remedy the problems, but he refuses. The neighbor insists that it is the landscapers responsibility.

Did you take pictures of the damages and of everything that can be used as evidence in the court of law? Did you contact the landscaper via letter or phone? Have you kept records of your attempts to remedy this situation with your neighbor and/or landscaper?

Yes, I have taken photos of the damage. I contacted the landscaper via phone multiple times (I can not find a business address for a letter or any type, nor will he provide it), and also spoke with him in person while he was in my neighbor's yard. This damage has taken place over multiple days, continuing even after I instructed him that no further branches were to fall into my yard, nor was he to trespass into my yard.

Hire an attorney to put a case together for you. I am sure your neighbor's home insurance will be tapped to pay for your damages. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back