Accused of forging student loan documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdmagno

In 2004, I took out two student loans one with AES and the other one I thought with Suntrust (on my credit report its Wells Fargo). I was attending college, but then fractured my neck in a car accident in March of 2005. Because I had to leave school I had to start paying on my AES student loan (btw..these are both private loans, as of today my Wells Fargo loan is still in deferrment). I separated from my husband and we got a divorce in Oct of 2005. In the divorce papers the judge ordered him to remove my name from our home mortgage and I was to remove his name from the educations loans. Of course you cant just do that based on a divorce document and I was unable to consolidate the student loans on my own. So I continued to make payments on the loans on time until I checked my credit report one day in Feb of 2007. Then I find out my student loan was put into collections and I owed the entire balance in full in one payment. I called up AES to find out why and they said my ex husband said I forged his signature so they removed his name from the student loan and made it entirely my responsibilty to pay. I asked them how he was able to pull of proving i forged his signature and they said he had his signature notarized at a lawyers office and sent in to the company. Keep in mind AES NEVER contacted me once to let me know what was going on..if they had I could have easily shown them the divorce documents asking me to remove his name from the student loan. Now..I am assuming he did the same thing with the Wells Fargo student loan but they didnt dump my loan in collections, they have kept it in good standing, just changed the responsiblity portion to Individual borrower. So after 2 months of trying to get to speak to someone at the Fraud department at AES (no one would return my phone calls and listen to me), I finally got to plead my case with a lady in the department only to have her tell me its too late, nothing they could do once the loan was in collections. She wouldnt hear me out or let me fax her the divorce documents. She said I should have disputed it during the fraud investigation, which i never even knew occured. So...my point is now Im stuck with a 20,000 payment to Zwicker and Associates (the collection company). For over a year now, I have made them payments of 237.00 a month ontime but cannot afford to pay off the loan and my credit is ruined. I asked them in Oct of 07 if they were going to sue me and they said no unless I miss a payment but they dont like to see loans in collections for 3 or 4 years. I called my ex husband and he said the reason he did this was because he wanted to refinance the house and the mortgage company wouldnt do it because he had the student loans on his credit report. This was the only was to get his name off the student loans. Any advice on what I can do? Keep in mind no police report was ever filed, and I have yet to be sued by AES or Zwicker and Associates and its been over a year now.

Has anything happened since this incident?

This is my thread, search: Student loan cosigner Fraud?

and I'm trying to figure out a solution. I'm thinking that if I call and report it to the fraud division for my loan company, and possibly leave a false admittance to doing so, then they will just pentalize me, which I would rather deal with then having to deal with my parents and having them keep me entrapped.

Get the police involved your ex committed fraud not you. If they open an investigation the loan company will have to turn over they're evidence and the cops can anilyze the signitures to see if they are legit. You might be able to sue the loan outfit, get your credit restored and get money to pay for school. If you were accused of fraud why didn't they notify they authorities so it could be handled properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back