looking to get married w/out parental consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

breee

I'm sixteen and my boyfriend is fifteen. Him and his mom are moving to Florida in a few months and my mom wont let him stay with us. I'm willing to move down there with him but my mom wont allow that either, so I was looking into emancipation, but it might take too long.

So my first question. If you're married, are you automatically considered emancipated?

If I were to get married, I KNOW my mom wouldn't give consent, but I was reading articles on the topic and it said if I didn't have a parent or guardian available, the judge could approve the marriage, and if there was no judge available, the marriage license office could appoint a guardian to consent to the marriage. I was curious as to what the chances were that this would work out?

I also read that anyone under 16 needs parental consent and approval of the court to determine whether its in the best interest of the minor. I'd also like to know how likely that would be..

If it all did work out, I'd be living in his mom's household and she would provide housing and financial support.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It wouldn't work out. "Unavailable parents" are either dead or nowhere to be found. That is not the case in your situation. You will have to abide by your parent's wishes.

Plus, you and your boyfriend are much too young to get married. Keep in touch, wait 2 or 3 years until both of you are 18, then get married if you still want to.

What compelling argument do you intend to provide to the judge? What will you tell him to sway him to terminate your mom's parental rights?

Does she torture you? Lock you in a dungeon? Is she always high on drugs or drunk? Do you live int he gutter?

If any of these horrors are occuring, have you or has someone called CPS or the police?

Essentially, it will be almost impossible for you to convince a judge that it is vitally important that you and your also underage boyfriend get married.

- Carl

well, my mom has had children and youth involved a few times for a various reasons, so could I file for emancipation? How long would the emancipation process take?

Emancipation is rarely granted. Unless your mother is facing criminal prosecution for neglect, or her behavior is such that it is in your best interest to be emancipated, the court just is not going to do it. Getting emancipated so you can go live with your boyfriend and get married is NOT going to be compelling. In fact, it will demonstrate a lack of maturity which will inevitably play against you.

Here is what one bar association in FL says:

Early emancipation usually occurs by court order. To obtain a court order:

1. The minor must be at least 16
years old.

2. A petition must be filed by the minor's parent, guardian or guardian ad litem.

3. The petition must show the judge that the minor is independent and able to
support himself and his child, if he is parenting.

- He must either be supporting himself or have a specific plan.
- He can not be dependent on public benefits.

4. The petition must give the Judge reasons why the minor needs to be emancipated.

You are also emancipated when you marry. However:

- A minor can not get married without parental consent.

- A minor under 16 years old can not get married even with parental consent.

- A court can allow marriage with parental consent if you're under 16 years old but have (or are expecting) a child together.

- A court can allow marriage with parental consent if the male is over 18 and the minor female is pregnant.​

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back