Is posting nude pictures of my ex illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihaveaquestion

I live in Pennsylvania. My boyfriend and I had a nasty break up. And now he is just so mean to me and rude. I wanted to know if its illegal to post naked pictured of himself that he sent to me while we were dating? I know its immoral, but I have gotten beyond that...lol. He deserves to deal with the reprocussions of his actuions towards me. I am not looking to make money off this or anything. But is it illegal?

Thanks,

Sue

So stooping down to an extremely low level is the way to deal with this? The pictures were a gift therefore you own them not him. However if your Ex contacts webmaster and complains the pics could be removed and if webmaster chooses could ban you from site. He could also sue you for damages but it isnt likely he will prevail

I have a couple questions similar to the original poster's...

Is there a difference legally between a boyfriend taking photos himself and sending them to a girlfriend (a gift), vs. a boyfriend consentially having photos taken by his girlfriend when they are together?

The consent to have the photos taken/seen by the girlfriend is clear, but what happens when it is shared with the public? Any liability there with girlfriend who posts the photos?

Can the website that the photos are posted on be liable for anything in this situation? If requested they would be taken down but could any further legal action be taken?

Thank you, just trying to understand this situation better...

Because this question comes up so often, I discussed it with an attorney.

Depending on state law, posting such pictures without permission could be illegal. According to the attorney, in at least some states a written release is needed from the subject regardless of who owns the pictures.

So he's being rude and nasty and you think stooping to his level, or even below (after all, he hasn't posted any nude pictures of you anywhere) is a good way to handle it?

I personally consulted with a criminal defense attorney regarding this situation. In the state of Pennsylvania a person has done nothing criminal posting pictures. They person could sue you civilly, however they would need to prove or show that they suffered a financial loss due to the posting of these pics. Bottom line is this day in age don't allow a picture to be taken you wouldn't want your mother to see ladies and gentlemen!!

Given that this thread was posted in 2008, I suspect the OP has resolved her situation.

I personally consulted with a criminal defense attorney regarding this situation. In the state of Pennsylvania a person has done nothing criminal posting pictures. They person could sue you civilly, however they would need to prove or show that they suffered a financial loss due to the posting of these pics. Bottom line is this day in age don't allow a picture to be taken you wouldn't want your mother to see ladies and gentlemen!!
I can tell you in all honesty that I learn a huge number of things about people thanks to this forum. I would never have guessed how often this happens.

Given that this thread was posted in 2008, I suspect the OP has resolved her situation.
Yes. I generally keep things open since sometimes people find it helpful to continue to discuss an issue as it may also pertain to something of their own that they don't want to being a new thread. I'm willing to hear what you think and I will probably have a new "answered" indicator here shortly. (Perhaps you can put those comments in the feedback area and not here, lol. :) )

Even though the post was from 2008 I responded because I see this question being asked over and over again on various message boards and forums. I think it is a state specific issue. Some contend that posting pictures is a tortious invasion of privacy by the public display of private fact. However in the state of Pennsylvania if someone over the age of 18 poses for a picture that constitutes consent. The person who took the picture is the owner and as long as they are not attempting to profit from said picture or attempting to defame the person pictured ( saying someone is a prostitute etc.) nothing criminal has been done. Again there is a matter that could be pursued civally, however as I stated the person picture would need to prove they suffered a financial loss due to the posting of the said picture. Additionally, if it went to litigation, the pictures would be entered into evidence and displayed before an open courtroom. Something most people would not want to endure...

It's crazy how often this comes up. There are state specific laws regarding rights of publicity, etc. but this is a difficult issue for the "victim" because typically there was consent with regard to the original photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back