Using Photos on Our Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynem

Hi. I am involved with a non-profit corporation in PA.

I am inquiring about using pictures that I took at our public events on our website. They are posted in our forums and photo galleries, and I want to place them on other pages of the website to demonstrate that we are a non-profit corporation and not just a website.

We have sponsors who pay for banner advertising, and it was suggested that using the pictures could somehow translate into a commercial angle stating that they are helping to promote the website for the purpose of making money from more sponsors.

I have added a disclaimer to state that if anyone appears in a picture and wishes to have it removed to e-mail me, and of course I will take the picture down.

I understand that anyone can sue about anything in America, and I am aware that if I obtained a release form it would be a best practice approach. However, over the years not everyone stays with us, and I do not have the contact info for everyone who appears in the pictures for me to even try this.

So my question is basically what is the level of risk of this scenario. Are we vulnerable to damages, or more likely would a judge see that we are willing to remove pictures by request and find no wrong doing. Am I worrying too much because we are covered under the law with how we are using these photos?

Note the pictures are of adults and children playing or talking at the events, there is nothing humiliating or malicious in any of them. The pictures have either been taken by myself or another Board member of the non-profit, or a person who attended the event.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, and I thank you also for making this resource available to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back