Can I sue for someone placing a stop payment on a check?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unluckySOB

So I recieved a large deposit check on the rent-to-own of a house in the amount of $3900, and proceeded to spend hundreds of dollars to move out of the house into a new home (ALL IN 3 DAYS! IT WAS STRESSFUL TO THE MAX), and everything was going along smoothly when suddenly I didn't hear from the new tenants, who I had had remarkably good communication with the whole time, and was bending over backwards for (literally staying up all night to do paint touch-ups on the interior of the home). I was given only 3 days notice, and had to basically evict my roommate (fortunately she is a friend) and reimburse her for the remainder of the month's rent. So now I'm out around $4400 from where I THOUGHT I was, and $500 of my own money. Do I have a case to take to court?? Can I cash the check at my bank to treat it as a NSF and pursue criminal charges?? Please help me!

If they signed all the papers sealing the deal, then you can proceed with filing a claim in Small Claims Court. Make sure you have the returned check as part of the back up papers you will need to show to the court. Good Luck!

Being an idiot, I was nice enough to not make them sign until the house was ready for the "final buyer inspection" at their request. So I don't have signed contracts, and hence I didn't cash the deposit check. But there is a whole string of emails which state that they agree with the contracts content and that they are 100% going to be moving in.. Then the next day (when they were supposed to move in) they just put the stop payment on the check and split.

In this case, you are definetly SOL. You cannot sue them for changing their mind since they didn't sign a contract with you. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back