Dealership asking us to RETURN a truck purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttkruse05

On April 25, 2008 we purchased a '04 Dodge Dakota from a large Dodge dealership in Bourbonnais, IL. We financed this vehicle & also traded a previous vehicle (a '94 Dodge Ram). Two weeks later, we get a call from the salesman at the dealership (who also happens to be a friend of the family) to advise us that Taylor Dodge (the dealership) "screwed up"... the man who previously owned the '04 Dakota (traded it into Taylor Dodge and purchased another new truck) lied on his credit application... therefore ultimately leaving him unable to be financed. Now they are telling us we have to return the car because there is still a balance due on the '04 Dakota from the previous owner (so i am assuming a lien is attached?). I confirmed with my credit union that Taylor Dodge had cashed out check and it cleared on April 29th, '08. They are telling us that they will "find us another truck"... but we are wondering what our rights are. The loan for the truck we purchased was only $8000 (out the door) after giving them our trade-in & and paying all taxes/fees. We originally traded our old Ram in because we were wanting a break in the mileage/gas prices. They are asking us to return the truck tonight & they will give us a temporary vehicle to drive until they find one for us. We have already transferred plates, already insured this new vehicle, and we just love the truck! We realize that we got a GREAT deal on the truck we purchased, and don't think we are gonna be able to find one that was as good a deal again. Now, on the bill of sale, they did "bump up" the purchase price as well as the amount they gave us for our trade-in. (ie. So instead of them showing we bought it for $10,000 getting $2000 for our trade, they put that we bought it for $12,000 & got $4000 for our truck.... these are approximates of course). So, here are my questions...
1) Can we be forced into giving the truck back?
2) What are our rights?
3) Can we ask for anything for our hardships of this? If so, how much?
4) Can we force them to just "buy" back the truck from us & pay us whats on the bill of sale?
5) Can we make them pay what is written on the bill of sale for our trade-in if we do ask for a monetary refund for the '04 Dakota?
6) WHERE do we go from here?

I did talk to a local attorney's office yesterday... they did inform me that since this isn't a large cash amount, that we would spend more on litigation costs than what the truck is even worth. They suggested we just give the truck back, as long as they compensate us with another vehicle comparable or better. We do have a specific COLOR and MILEAGE we purchased the vehicle for... does this matter in a "comparable sense"?
Please advise a.s.a.p!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back