30 Day vs. 60 Day Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gianna06

Hello All,
Okay this is my situation. My lease expired on 03/31/08. My lease specified that I must give a 60 day notice to vacate or I would automatically renew on a month to month basis. I chose not to renew and my rent went from $645 to $713 plus an additional month to month fee of $150. I gave my notice on April 7th. My landlord says they received it on April 8th. (Fine, okay) My landlord says that I am required to give a 60 day notice even though I on a month to month. Does this sound right? I mean do I really have to give a 60 day notice even though I am on a month to month lease? I did not sign any new documents I just told them I was going month to month. Why should I have to give a 60 day notice and still have to pay the additional $150. I mean it just seems to defeat the purpose of going to a month to month. I mean I would have at the very least signed a 3 month lease if that was the case and saved myself the additional $218 every month. Are there any laws or statutes regarng this in Texas?

Thank you for all of your help.

What state are you in?

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back