Removing my name from a Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhmetta

I sold a scooter to a college student last year. I signed over the title to him. Apparently, he never registered the vehicle. He has since received parking tickets. My name is on the title. I have no bill of sale as this was almost a year ago. I also do not remember his name. The plates on a scooter remain with the vehicle in Wisconsin. The DMV seems to be clueless as to what to do. One person told me that the "new owner" has to come in before they will remove my name from a vehicle I no longer have possesion of. Obviously, there is a flaw in the law which allows the plates to transfer with the vehicle leaving the original owner in such a state. Especially, if he goes out and runs over someone and they want to sue me. I was told by someone that there is a way to remove my name. Does anyone know how? Is this a law or a Wisconsin DMV thing? If it's a law, there has to be a loophole. I would really appreciate someones help. thanks

no responses yet. Am I in an impossible situation? or more thatn likely does anyone really care?:(

I'm not sure I understand why you left the plates on the scooter if they are your plates. The flaw to me seems your failure to remove them after you sold the vehicle. At this point only the DMV would know the specific process you would need to remove your name as the registered owner of the vehicle and to invalidate the plates.

Originally posted by swhmetta
I sold a scooter to a college student last year. I signed over the title to him. Apparently, he never registered the vehicle. He has since received parking tickets. My name is on the title. I have no bill of sale as this was almost a year ago. I also do not remember his name. The plates on a scooter remain with the vehicle in Wisconsin. The DMV seems to be clueless as to what to do. One person told me that the "new owner" has to come in before they will remove my name from a vehicle I no longer have possesion of. Obviously, there is a flaw in the law which allows the plates to transfer with the vehicle leaving the original owner in such a state. Especially, if he goes out and runs over someone and they want to sue me. I was told by someone that there is a way to remove my name. Does anyone know how? Is this a law or a Wisconsin DMV thing? If it's a law, there has to be a loophole. I would really appreciate someones help. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back