Breaking and Entering

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckylucy50

My son who is 19 was accused of breaking into the apartment of these 2 girls who lived near he and his father. At the time, he heard he was being accused of this so he and his father went into the police station and spoke to the officer involved. The office apparently believed my son when he explained where he was and that he had nothing to do with it. The officer said everything was fine and he could go. However, apparently the two girls filed a complaint. This was sometime last year.
This past weekend he and his father were pulled over by an officer who was looking for my son. He said he had a warrant for his arrest. He said that he was supposed to respond to some paperwork that was mailed to him and because he didn't, a warrant was issued for his arrest. The policeman said they have a new prosecutor and that the case was not officially closed so it has to go to court. My son was taken away in handcuffs and we had to post bail. I believe they probably sent the paperwork but he and his dad moved out of that apartment shortly after that and because his dad only put in a mail order for himself, my son's mail did not get forwarded.
So now we have a pre-trial coming up this Friday and we're all terrified. This is a federal offense and it has us all scared to death. My son has never stolen anything from either me or his father and even though he's lazy and not very responsible, I would not label him a thief. Plus he's not an agressive kid. He's a musician and very laid back.
What would you advise in preparation for this? He will have a public defender and I don't want to just blindly trust this person to handle everything correctly. Should we attempt to get names and numbers of anyone who could vouch for him? Should we avoid contact with anyone who could help him and just leave it to the lawyer? I guess I've seen too many lawyer shows on t.v. and I'm afraid my son won't get fair representation.
I would appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thank you.

Yes, hire a lawyer. Does he have proof of an alibi for that day and time? Give copies to the lawyer. Obviously your husband and son told the police offericers something when he went in the forst time; do you know if they filed a report during that time? Get a copy if you can and take that with you to the lawyer.

I would. But that is just me. Public defenders are over worked and want quick resolutions which are not always in the defendents best interest. Usually you can get a free consultation about your case and find out what it will cost, then you can make a decision based on that initial interview. But I would definately talk to the police officer that you first discussed this with and see if he made a written report of your discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back