False Accusations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb1285n

I work for a retailer and two days ago I came in to return an item I recently purchased that wasn't working properly. During my lunch I did the return but instead of exchanging it I took store credit because I had trouble with the brand name and wanted to look around some more before purchasing. I thought everything was fine and went on with my day.

I had the next two days off so I didn't think about but yesterday I get a phone call the next day from someone warning me about what people were talking about. Apparently what I returned (a $400 product), went missing and there were no logs about it. On top of that the person who did the return did it under someone elses name who wasn't there at the time. So basically I was being accused of doing my returrn myself under another associates numbers and not physically returning the product.

I asked her to check by the register for me and she did and their it was sitting right on top of the register in plain site. She let the manager know who spoke with the person who did the return, he admited to using the other associates numbers and not logging the return correctly. The manager told me he'd handle it but I'd still have to be questioned.

I didn't think about it again until I got half a dozen calls from other associates and even a manager who heard parts of the story, most of them under the impression I was still being accused of stealing. I let them know what really happened, but here's my question.

I am not upset about the unprofessional way the entire situation was handled and that I was completely left out of it until a friend called to warn me. My concern is that I believe this should have been kept on a need to know basis and now my name is forever going to be tied with a robbery that never happened.

Also I am afraid they are now going to be holding me under a microscope with everything I do. So I have two questions.

1. If they pull me into a room tomorrow and start asking me questions not pertaining to the matter at hand (past transactions), can I choose not to answer and not risk looking my job.

2. Legally am I protected from the way my name was thrown around the way it was with no proof and without even asking me or looking for the item that went missing.

Thanks

PHP:
1. If they pull me into a room tomorrow and start asking me questions not pertaining to the matter at hand (past transactions), can I choose not to answer and not risk looking my job.
Sure you can and they can fire you

PHP:
2. Legally am I protected from the way my name was thrown around the way it was with no proof and without even asking me or looking for the item that went missing.

No you are not protected from people talking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back