Please help! Do I have any recourse at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcw1225

To try and make a long story short. Back in Aug. there was basically a online fight between another girl and I who both found out that this guy was lying to both of us, she sent several nasty messages to me, I wrongly replied with a not-so-nice one back, and she called the police. they came out to my house and I immediatly called an attorney, there were no charges pressed against me. then about a month later-the police show up because there was supposedly an email from me to this guys parents saying I was suicidal (I DID NOT send anything at all to them) but was still embarassing to deal with with multiple police cars blazing into my neighborhood and my children being frightened over it. Now, this girl(not the guy) has called the police again and they are saying that there is an email from a "my name" (when I pressed to ask if it was someone implying they were me--they were vague but said no, that she saw an email in his messages from someone with my first name and thinks its me, and on top of that-there were some charges on a travel website on his credit card and she thinks that I am doing it. I have had no contact with these people, they live in another state-but called my local police about this-there is nothing that links me to his credit card or an probable cause against me except them saying its me. My questions is a) can she actually file a complaint for him?? b) They won't give me the email that this email came from to him nor will they trace it or the supposed credit card issue--(I want it traced as we have our suspicions that it will actually be traced back to her--thus making a false police report etc.)
My attorney said to just let it go-since no charges are going to be brought against me, but isnt this a form of harrassment or defamation of character to me? I feel if I let it go that who knows what she will come up with next month and try to charge me with as its obvious she is on a witchhunt to get me in some kind of legal trouble since she is angry at me?

Last edited:
Did you get a copy of the email? Were the "headers forged" in any way? You need to get a copy with the headers intact and your attorney should have done this. This means an email with the information as to what computers may have sent it and whether the sender could have "spoofed" their email address to appear to have it come from you. It's not that difficult to do. If that is what happened, then yes, you could probably sue the guy who caused you all these problems. You're better off reporting him to the police and the DA to be prosecuted criminally. Afterwards if you want to sue civilly it's an easier case. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back