Water Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmnielson

We are in the state of Wisconsin. We have lived in our current apartment for 6 years 3 months. When we initially sign our lease agreement it was noted that we pay utilities with the exception of water/sewer due to the fact that there is a business under us and we are on the same meter. The initital lease agreement was signed with an agent of the landlord that is no longer with him. He is now trying to charge us for water/sewar usage, but better yet he is trying to charge us for the unit next to us that has the same set up, apartment on second floor business on first. This is a 100+ year old building that has several storefronts with apartment(s) above. Our 2 units are the only 2 in the building that share meters with the downstairs business. The business happens to be a free medical and dental clinic. He can not provide us with our usage at all, is this legal?

I am just adding to my current post jsut ot move it up. Is there anyone out there that can help us with this problem. Thank you in advance for the help.

Just trying to get an answer from someone for our initial post. Someone out there must have some idea about this situation

Generally, you and your landlord are free to contract however you like within the framework of Wisconsin's landlord/tenant laws. I don't know anything about those specifically. Usually landlords can increase the rent by a reasonable amount every year, or impose other changes to the lease. You are free to accept the changes or move out.

Not sure what you mean about being charged for the utilities for the unit next to you - is he trying to charge for utilities for other apartments as well?

The fact that your apartment isn't separately metered doesn't mean he can't charge. All he has to do is tell you how the combined charges will be allocated.

He is trying to charge us for the usage for the apartment and business next door to us, not for our and the business beneath us.

Why are the other tenants getting off utility-free and you're stuck holding the bag?

If you're asking whether he can do it, I guess the answer is sure, so long as you agree to it. Nothing says you have to agree to it.

When we originally signed the lease, we did not agree to it and did not have to pay for the first 3 years. As a matter of fact we were not even billed. Suddenly we started to receive bills based on the other tennants usage. The business next door is getting off scott free, but apparently the apartment tennants have supposedly been charged. We never agreed to start paying this bill, he just decided that we should, he can't provide us with our usage at all, and states that if we don't like it move out. We now the apartment tennants have moved out and the business is still there, I can't wait to see if we get stuck with the whole bill now. Just trying to find out if we have a leg to stand on at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back