Transfer of vehicle in RI: VIN on car & title don't match

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebarrett

Hello:

I recently purchased a vehicle and submitted my old car in trade to the dealership. The dealership, in turn, sold my old car to a wholesaler. I was recently notified by the dealership that the wholesaler returned the car because the VIN number on the title and registration do not match the VIN on the physical car. I purchased the car new in 1999, and have been it's sole possessor for almost 9 years.

My best guess is that a clerical error on the part of the original dealer placed the wrong VIN on the title, or swapped it with the title to another car. This dealership has since gone out of business. (Hmmm... I wonder why?)

I ran a carfax report on the car's physical VIN and it appears to be registered to another party.

My questions are as follows:
1) Is this my problem or that of the dealership that accepted my car in trade? (Meaning, am I responsible for paying them back the amount of my trade-in?)

2) How can I find the party that "owns" the title to the car of which I (or the dealership that accepted it as a trade) am in possession?

3) How can I find the car to which I hold the title? (Hopefully 2 & 3 will trace back to the same person.)

4) If the titles were indeed "swapped," how can I switch them back? What if the other party is still financing the car to which I hold the title, but that they physically possess?

5) Whom may I hold accountable for the original error if the dealership that made the initial mistake is no longer in business?

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back