Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication college grad, drug felon, employment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay_Richardson

I really need help on this...very discouraged with no where 2 turn.
Heres the facts...Convicted of Class B felony marijuana possession with intent to distribute 1997. This keeps haunting me in my job search... conviction was in Missouri...I am now in Texas...Was hoping I had put enough distance and time between then and now...I don't know whether to lie or tell the truth on applications/ background searches...its a catch 22...tell the truth...don't get the job...lie and they find out...no more job. I avoid giving them info on the county where it happened...hoping to avoid it coming up...but I don't know if they can find out anyway? but truly i am at a loss...I know I should tell the truth...but that isn't working...I need some good advice...I got this skeleton in my closet and I just want to move on. I would love to know if there is anyway around this??? any loophole??? something??? thanks for your time

Hey there-

I have been in the same place since 1999. I have 2 felony drug posessions and a degree from UCLA. I didn't do drugs until 5 years ago- then screwed .

I left California and am in Louisiana- 50 % of the time they check backgrounds only the state you have a license/i.d. in and the other, they check nationwide.

I have had some tough experiences, lost 2 or 3 jobs when they found out I lied and did not get a second interview everytime I was honest.

It's a crap shoot really- I was at a job I loved, making good money- they only checked in this state and I was clear...then the HR manager was trying a new employment program on the web and randomly used my info. to sample the program- I was fired that Friday.

Right now- I am at a decent job and they didn't check backgrounds.

Make sure you don't share your past with ANYONE you work with if your employer does not know- gossip spreads and they will find out.

What I have decided to do was to get any job I could to have a paycheck and lie to get that job- if I lost it, I could handle it.... but if I came upon a job I really wanted, (which I am looking for now) - for a good company, good money etc.- I will tell the truth during the interview and explain the situation in the best light I can. It's hard enough living with a felony- losing a great job is more than I want to handle.
Good luck to you! Go with your gut at interviews and you'll get beyond this.
You just have to try really hard and long to find a decent job where you feel safe- throwing away 40+ hours a week because of your past is no way to live. This probably didn't help much- but know I feel your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back