"Avoiding" an illegal turn in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ_Dave

I'm in need of some advice. I believe I've been cited in error.

Here in New Jersey (Somerset County) I was cited with violating statute 39:4-123, making an illegal left turn. Except I never made a left-hand turn at all.

Approaching a four-way residential intersection (stop signs on my street and on the dead-end street opposite) I saw the sign that declared a left turn illegal, as I passed a police car parked on the shoulder. Mindful that a left turn would mean an immediate citation, but also that I needed to go in that direction to get to my workplace, I stopped at the intersection, then proceeded straight onto the dead-end street. I traveled 1/10 mile, made a K-turn, then came back to the same intersection. I stopped at the stop sign and made a right turn. I was immediately pulled over. The officer explained that I had "avoided the left." I was incredulous -- of course I avoided the left; the left was illegal.

I don't understand what law I broke. I didn't make the left turn I was accused of making. In looking through the NJ statutes, I did find 39:4-66.2, "Avoidance of traffic control signal" -- the only appearance of the word "avoidance" in the motor vehicle statutes -- but this addresses driving "on public property, except public roads or highways, or private property, ... for the purpose of avoiding a traffic control signal or sign." But not only did I not avoid the sign, I never left the public road. Apparently I violated some legal convention that's not in the statutes. Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks for any help!

Dave

When you go to court, plead not guilty.

Get a lawyer.

Have a trial.

OR

You could ask the prosecutor to let you plead to a non-moving violation.

Thanks for the advice... doesn't really answer my question though. I'm wondering whether it'd make sense (or alternately, be plain stupid) to speak in my own defense. It would stick in my craw to have to plead guilty to something I didn't do, to avoid being convicted for something else I didn't do. Anyhow, *if* I were to argue the case myself, I'd need to know the answer to my question: what unstated convention have I violated?

Edited to add: Thanks for the suggestion to plead "to a non-moving violation." I would settle for this. However, I doubt they will go that far -- it's a three-point ticket. If not, you bet I'll contest it; I'm looking for the info that will help me do so.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back