Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Wrongly accused of shoplifting at Kmart ~please help~

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchwoomsMom

Let me preface this by saying that I am legally disabled. I suffer from several mental disorders, including Severe Anxiety, mild Agoraphobia, Major Depressive Disorder and Panic Attacks. My mental illnesses are documented, and I receive Social Security because I am unable to work, due to them.
This is an important fact regarding this situation.

That said, this is what happened to me 3 nights ago at my local Kmart.

I wandered around the store for about 30 minutes, comparing items to my coupons, to see if I could find anything cheap enough to make it worth buying. I bought some shoes for my youngest son and some other things on their clearance sale. Went thru the line and walked to my car. It was 6:45pm and dark outside, when all of a sudden, this guy (who, I might add, walked past me 2x in the store) came up to me, said he was store security,(plainclothes) said he SAW me open packages of Glad and Kotex, and steal items from inside. He said he saw me open the package of Kotex, take some, and leave the rest by the greeting cards. I told him I didn't steal anything. He said, "it doesn't matter if you took anything. I saw you with my own eyes open the package, and it's my word against yours. They'll believe me." I continued to repeat that I didn't steal anything, I don't know what you thought you saw, but it sure wasn't that. He continued to repeat that he saw me do it, and he knows I'm lying, because he saw it. He said, "I don't know why you're denying it! I saw you! You need to come with me back into the store and deal with this. Please get the bag you just put in your car (my bag) and come with me. We already have the packages you stole from at customer service."
So we went back in the store. My emotional issues can make it very difficult to maintain my composure in certain situations. THIS WAS ONE! So I'm already tearing up, walking thru the store. I feel like a criminal, because everyone in the store is staring at me, and I didn't even do anything! I called my husband while the security guard was walking me through the store. I turned at the first aisle, towards the customer service area, and he's saying, very loudly, "No, you need to come with me!" So I turned around, and said, "You said customer service, that's where I'm going." He said, "No, you need to come with me back this way." While we are walking, I'm speaking to my husband, I start crying, because I'm scared, I don't know what's going on, or why he thinks I've stolen something. The guy tells me to calm down, and stop crying. I told the guy that I am disabled, that I can't calm down. My husband asks to speak to him, so he can tell him I'm disabled, cause the guy's basically yelling at me to stop crying and calm down. I hand him the phone, and he hangs it up. He's now visibly upset at me and says, "Damn! Would you just calm down" I replied, "don't cuss at me!" I took the phone back and called my husband again. My husband tells me that he want's to speak to the security guard. I told him that I tried, and he hung up on you. He told me to put him on speakerphone, so I do. My husband is saying "Sir, can I speak to you? My wife is disabled, and is very emotional. Would you please speak to me?" The man just ignores my husband. So we walk towards the security room in the back. He is walking behind me, and says, "This way" I don't know what way, so I go one direction, and he yells, "NO! I said this way!" So I turned and followed him, and it happened to be the hallway with the bathrooms. I didn't realize there were any other doors that direction!

We get back to the security room, and he's obviously mad. I told him that I wanted him to get the store manager. He calls over the loudspeaker for the manager. He's telling me that I need to calm down, and threatening to call the police if I don't calm down. I told him, "Don't speak to me, I want the manager." All the time, my husband is on the phone. So my husband hears him say this, and tells me, "I want you to call the police RIGHT NOW." So I did.

While I'm on the call with the police, the guy is telling me that I need to hang up with them, don't call the police... I kept yelling at him to stop telling me to not call the police. I'm not hanging up! I told the dispatcher that I'm disabled, and this man is harassing me. The dispatcher actually tells me that she is going to disconnect the call if I don't calm down! I explain to her, as calmly as I can, that I'm disabled, and cannot calm down any further! The man is continually telling me to hang up the phone, I'm yelling at him, leave me alone, I'm not going to hang up! The dispatcher again threatens to hang up, this time if I don't stop talking to the man. She takes my name and phone number, I tell her the store I'm at, and it's location (cross streets only, didn't have exact address, but it's the only Kmart in the area.) After the call to the police is finished, he's trying to talk to me, trying to scare me. I told him, I want the store director. Get them now, and DON'T talk to me until you get them. He then asks a coworker to retreive the packages of Glad and Kotex that I opened. He continues to try to talk to me while we're waiting for the manager, and I continue to tell him, "DON'T speak to me, I'm not going to speak to you." The coworker comes back, with a package of Glad, and sets it on the table. He responds, this isn't the correct package. (Now it seems to me, in hindsight, that they never actually presented a second package, but since I didn't notice then, and I'm not completely sure, for arguments sake, we'll assume that he did, infact bring in another package.)

Finally the supervisor comes in. It's a woman. I explain to her the situation as best I can in my hysterical, humiliated state.
So the guy shows her this package of Glad, that I supposedly took 2 from.
(Not one time, did the security guard mention the Kotex he accused me of stealing from, nor did he present it, but I was too upset to notice at the time) She didn't want to look in my bag, but I opened it up, removed the contents, and practically made her.
THE ENTIRE TIME I'm repeatedly asking them to view the security cameras, that I'd like to see what they are accusing me of. They never even respond.
Finally, I told her that I never TOUCHED that product. That he's lying because he can. I repeated what he said to me at my car. I even told her that I'd pay to have it fingerprinted, that my fingerprints wouldn't be on that package, because I never touched it.
She eventually took my name and phone number (I handed her my ID because I was crying so hard I couldn't talk, my husband gave her the number over the phone.) She wrote down my address also, and handed the security guard my id, to give it back. He pointed to my ID, and told her she should write down my ID# also. She told him all they needed was my name and number. Finally, after 20 minutes, she walked me out of the store, and told me that I wasn't in trouble, that she didn't take my info because I was in trouble, that she took my name and number, because she was going to talk to her boss in the morning, and find out what to do, and if necessary, what should be done INTERNALLY. She also said I should call tomorrow to speak to the store director about this. She was nice,(compared to him) and tried to calm me down. She said that she wanted to make sure I was calm before I drove away, because she didn't want me to get into a wreck. I told her she might as well go back inside, because it would be a while before I could safely drive. I ended up sitting in my car crying hysterically for 40 minutes, trying to compose myself before I drove away.

No, the police did not show up, neither during the incident, or nearly the hour I spent outside in my car crying.

This incident has caused me extreme emotional distress, and will end up costing me countless hours of therapy.

I have not, as yet, made the phone call to the store director, nor have I called corporate. It has taken me this long, just to be able to tell what happened without breaking into tears.

I am in Washington State.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back