Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Falsely accused of shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalquestion4u

I have a couple of questions which i will ask after I explain what happened. Please read...

I work for a retail store in Michigan. It is corp. owned and is a single coverage business. I was at work today and observed a man with his son enter the store. I greeted him and asked if there was anything I could help him find. He said no, just looking. After he left the store, I observed a spot where a piece of merchandise was missing. Now, I know that it was there before he came in, but i have no proof that he took it. There isn't any cameras in the store, nor did I see him take it. I began to panic after i realized that it was gone, so I called mall security and informed them the a man had just stole from my store. This is where i began to make my mistakes....

I shouldnt have done this since I didn't observe him steal. Security asked if I would like to call the police and apprehend. I said yes, thinking he's got to have the item. They told me to keep an eye on him. So i locked up my store and approached the man outside of the mall. I asked him if he would like to pay for the item he just took. He challenged me. i responded with 'we have it on tape'... thinking this would get him to fess up. Well, it didn't work. He challenged that and began to make phone calls... assuming to his laywer.

Security and the police came to question him and then me. The whole incident took about 20 min. I told the officer all i just mentioned here and that we actually dont have a cam. I just assumed he took it, since the product was there before he came in and then was gone after he left -but i cant prove that. Now, this man was telling me that i was lucky that his kids were here otherwise... that's all he said. Basically he was threating me. I was getting very nervous and frightened. I began to apologize and told him that i didn't want any trouble, but he wouldn't listen.

He was telling the police and the security that he wanted to sue my company for accusing him. Now, after the report was filed by the officer, I feel horrible. I didn't even want to file a report. the man did becasue he wants to sue. So, now I feel like complete crap and I'm worried what type of things can happen.

Can he sue the Company? The research that I've found tells me that he can, but i'm not for certain. More importantly, can he sue me personally even though I was working as a rep. for the company, even though I made a poor decision in falsely accusing him? That's my most major concern!!

I definitely learned from this and I'm never going to wrongfully accuse someone again. I've spoken to my Regional Boss about this incident and they told me to report it to the loss prevention dept, which i did. I feel like a fool and I'm frightened for what can happen.

Anyone may sue anybody for anything at any time anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back