Company knowingly revealed member information including SSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmcall

I am new to the forum because I need to find some legal advice for my Mom. My mom received a letter today stating that the health insurance company she uses exposed her member information unsecurely on the internet. Her name, address, and SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER have been compromised. The letter states (names withdrawn):

"We are sending this letter to inform you that your member record was inadvertently transmitted by ________ to ___ in an unsecure manner via the internet."

"The information contained your name, address, and Social Security Number. We apologize for any potential disclosure of your personal information."

Then it goes on to tell her that it's her responsibility to check her credit report very often to see if there has been any unauthorized activity. They also stated:

"We discussed this incident with ________ and requested that they take action to ensure that such an event does not occur again."

I myself think this is purely unacceptable considering how this company revealed my mom's information for someone to take advantage of. We just want to know if we can take legal action against this company. The letter we have is a Kentucky State Government authorized letter and clearly states the issue. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I didn't know where else to put it.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Why would they have your SS # in the first place. They can work around it, they do not need it. Of course, that makes little difference now.

You could call the AG's office in your state, and see if they can remomend someone or agency, related to this.

They have her social security number because the health insurance company is associated with where she retired from.

Last edited:
They still don't need it. They may think they do, but the don't.

Well, if something bad happens, you would have an action for neglegence. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I would revoke the SS # from them, they can come up with another #. Try that to avoid it happening again. If they say they "have" to have it, post again, I"ll show you the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back