Can Creditors Garnish Wages in North Carolina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

concord07

I moved to North Carolina several months ago and recently lost by default a civil suit to a creditor in Missouri. I have tried to make payment arrangements with this creditor but they have refused to negotiate and have issued a wage garnishment order. I do not work for the same employer I did when I lived in Missouri.

I have learned on the internet that a creditor can not garnish wages in the state of North Carolina unless that garnishment order was issued on the employer I worked for in Missouri and I still work for the same employer in North Carolina. Is this true?

I did see that the garnishment order was issued to my current employer but was served to a unit in Missouri (although I have never worked for this employer in Missouri). Why would the attorney for the creditor do this? (The corporate headquarters for my new employer are neither in Missouri or North Carolina.)

Please help if you know anything about these laws in North Carolina. I am very confused.

Who do you think should pay your debts?

As I stated in my post, I AM attempting to repay the debt but I cannot afford the 25% garnishment rate but have offered to repay $425/month of a debt that is less than $2500. Not anywhere in the post did I state I didn't want to or was refusing to repay the debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back