Tenant harassed by another tenant/ Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimber007

Please help. I live in Minnesota. I need to know my rights as a tenant, the responsibilities of the landlord/apartment complex company, and anything else I can do. I have a neighbor -whose 16 year old daughter came over to my place, pounding on my door and then was yelling and screaming at me (we used to be friends with them before this). I then avoided them for this reason, as the mother of her told me, "this is what I taught her to do" to express herself. Nothing was resolved, but I felt intimidated. This happened 1/20/08. Since then whenever she sees me she coughs loudly- knowing I have a cough and health problems. It is bothersome and intimidating, knowing she is doing this on purpose. It doesn't feel good living here. So on 2/16 I was outside with another neighbor friend (adult) and she witnessed these events: The neighbor girl was yelling and swearing that "someone closed my garage door!" after driving up with a friend. The garage doors are to be closed at all times per management and it is very cold weather. The garage enters into one of our doors to our apartment. I also didn't close it this time but have many times before because it makes our home cold and they leave them open all the time. She then stayed outside with other friends- smoking- (Illegal anyway) and making comments about me loudly. She looked right at me and said, "If someone wouldn't close the garage doors!" I said, "Shannon, I didn't close the garage door." She then started swearing at me loudly to "mind (my) own f-ing business!" She continued in this manner. Her mom came out and stood in the garage and didn't intervene. This isn't the first time Shannon has done this to a neighbor. Shannon noticed everything I did and made comments about me/my actions. I felt harassed by her. Cannot even stand outside without being treated this way. I called the police and decided to NOT have them come out this time, but had them document what happened to start a trail, and have a case #. They even recognized her name. The next morning I went to my vehicle- close to where they were standing, to find orange ice cream all over the passenger door/mirror and wheel, and it looked like someone threw it on the car. We haven't had any problems like this and it happened right after this altercation. No proof it was her, just the odds of it are in her favor greatly. I called the police and have another case number. The apartment complex has been told about the harassing behaviors but say they can't do anything about it- even though the police had told me management should be able to address this. What can I do?? I feel harassed, intimidated, and unhappy living here now. I do not feel safe. I am now parking somewhere else- rather than in front of my garage like I should be able to. I also have been told by this girls' mother in the past that "if anyone were to mess with (her or her family) then her husband knows people and would take care of it... in such a way that no one would even know he did anything." I do not feel safe. Thank you for your time and help.

Last edited:
Call the POLICE!!!! Most states have "bullying" laws on the books - document the bullying with video, etc. and get an attorney if the police do nothing!!

Call the POLICE!!!! Most states have "bullying" laws on the books - document the bullying with video, etc. and get an attorney if the police do nothing!!

Thanks, I hadn't considered looking into it as "bullying" and saw it more as harassment. I will look at this. I still wonder what the apartment complex's responsibility is here..... Thanks, Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back