Divorce/Declaring Mental Incompetence

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperate4help

I am 27 years old, I am the daughter in this situation- I am desperate for help/relief for all parties involved.
My dad decided he wants a divorce from my mom. He's getting more & more verbally- but not physically- violent. Mom decided to go ahead and secure an attorney & file for divorce, since that's what he wants, she wants to give it to him. With the verbal violence (threats) she decided to go to the County Courthouse and file a PFA (Protection From Abuse) Order as well. She's afraid to go home, afraid of what he may do to her.
However, he's been treated for several years as a bipolar patient. I feel he'd be stable in a state mental health facility. He's been committed before- in the Summer of 2000- however, at that point, the psychiatrist he was seeing started the proceedings. While in the hospital over the approx. 3 months, he stabilized & got better- however, it was simply because he was on the strict schedule of the hospital & they gave him his meds (on the meds PROPERLY, they work). With the PFA & the pending divorce, can my mom still go to the state and request a Commitment/Declaration of Incompetence (sorry, I'm not sure exactly what its called) Hearing? If she cannot request this, is there anything I can do as the daughter to do this?
Please help me! I just want whats best for everyone involved. I want mom to be safe- and with him in the house, she's not. Even if/when he's removed due to the PFA being filed, I'm afraid he may come back and try to do something to her. He'd be stabilized & she'd be safe if we can do this.
There is also a 21 year old son, my brother, involved in all this. He's still living in the house & I am afraid for him. I do have both of them out of the house & living with me, but they can't do this forever, as they need to get back to their things in the house. My brother also filed a PFA, since he does live in the same house. I did not file the PFA, as my dad does not know where I live- he does know where I work, however, if he comes into my work and tries to get to me, he can & will be removed from the property.
Again, I am desperately pleading with you....is there anything I can do to get everyone safe & stable. I only want whats best for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back