Injured @ Work - No W/C Filed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovendiamonds

I tripped over a ladder that was across a doorway in our jobsite trailer on 12/10/07. I had three witnesses to the fall, the Safety Director, My Supervisor, and the Superintendent. I said that I didn't want to go through Worker's Comp because I had just started there, and I didn't want it to be on my employment record that I filed a claim because I know some companies are leary about hiring someone that has filed a claim. Well about two weeks after that I didn't seem to be getting any better so I went to my Primary Doctor who said that I probably sprained or possible broke a small bone in my right wrist, and sprained my left ankle and badly bruised my left knee. He put my right wrist in a splint and said to let him know if it doesn't get any better, but nothing showed on the X-ray. About a week or two later, he sends me an e-mail to keep wearing the splint and he wanted to send me to an Ortho Dr., well the Ortho sent me for a CT of my right Wrist, an MRI of my left knee which came back that I had a scalfoid fracture of my right wrist and torn cartilidge in my left knee, and he too felt that I had just badly sprained the left ankle of which he did an X-ray and did not see anything but a cist that had nothing to do with the injury. He put my right wrist in a cast and I followed up 3 weeks later and the cast was removed the wrist re-X-rayed and another cast put back on for another 4 weeks. I have worked with these injuries and have not missed any time other than going to the Doctor. Well after the 2nd cast was put on, they made it a little higher up on the arm, but now that the project is progressing, I have more work which means more typing and my hand was swelling up and my wrist was aching because of using it too much. I went back to the Doctor and she said I was using it too much and that she wanted me out of work until the cast was removed and I would be re-evaluated. Well since this was not filed as a W/C case, my job does not want to let me off with pay for the 3 weeks that are left, they want me to come in and just sit an answer phones. Also while all this was happening, we installed a 30' gate across the entrance to our trailer and the 1st day we had it I went to shut it with my left hand (I am right handed, and the cast is on my right wrist/hand) I ended up smashing my left thumb in the gate, something else that didn't go in as a W/C case, and when I went in for the swelling, I had her check my thumb, she said it wasn't broken, but that it appears from the numbness that I have damaged nerves on the inside part of my thumb and that the reason I can't bend it too far is due to scar tissue. I didn't not tell my healthcare provider that any of this happened at work. Our Safety Director is telling me that we can file it now, but it will probably cost me alot of money since Doctors and only charge a certain amount for W/C and I will probably be billed the difference, and that I don't get paid for the first 3 days I am out, and that I only get 3/4 of my pay which is taxed. What should I do? I was trying to be a good employee and hoped that things would work out for the best, but now it seems to be one big mess. I just want my wrist to have time to heal properly and it's not going to do that if I am at work because even though they say only answer phones, I know I will end up doing more, because I will feel bad, even though I am the one that will have to suffer with the pain if it doesn't heal right, and I am the one that will have to work for another 25 years with the pain. I am very confused, I have never been injured at work before, and feel that our Safety Director should have handled the whole thing differently, since he is the one that is experienced in this type of situation. Please help me figure out what to do.

The incident was witnessed, so that is as good as filing, it is up to them to file with insurance company, you just have to prove it is work related, which it is. Stay on light duty at work and continue to collect your salary, if you can. Just get well, the company should foot the bill. As far as "doing more because I will feel bad" HUH? Do what you are told and GET WELL if you really don't want to hurt for the next "25 years"... or are you now starting to think being off is not a bad idea? (So much for the loyalty that made you say don't file...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back