Credit Card Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedcop

I have managed to rack up a rather large credit card debt with several United States credit card companies. Mostly this was due to prolonged and continuing ill-health, and, yes I will admit an inability to manage money responsibly. I owe around USD45,000.00. However I no longer live in the United States, nor am I likely to ever return there. I am a New Zealand citizen, a New Zealand passport holder. I am currently Bankrupt in New Zealand and am not able to pay off my debts in the United States. What I want to know is: can the credit card companies chase me to New Zealand? From what I understand it is very difficult to pursue civil debt internationally. Will a warrant be issued for my arrest in absentia of the United States? Could I be arrested at immigration if I ever returned there on holiday?

Another thing. I partly enlisted the help of one of these debt consolidation companies whom from what I understand bargain with the creditors on the debtors behalf for a reduced amount of the original debt. I say partly because I have not physically signed anything. However I have agreed to things over the phone with the ususal yes and no questions. Is this legally binding?

Also, if I file for bankruptcy, how much will it cost? I understand, unlike here in New Zealand where it costs a paltry NZD45.00, it can cost several thousand dollars. Maybe bankruptcy could be a better option since I will never be living in the United States again. If I do file for bankruptcy does than free me from all credit card debts and if so, relinquish me from any agreement that may have already been processed with the debt consolidation company, (I'm quite sure that nothing has been done so far).

If I chooose not pay this debt company (the creditexchange.com), are they likely to pursue me in New Zealand for the lesser USD26,000 that I either now/soon will owe them? Or will they just give it back to the banks, or to a debt collection agency?

Whew.

It is unlikley that they will pursue you to New Zeland but I am not familar with the international laws and this is a fairly large sum. It looks like you could discharge the debt in your current bankruptcy. I don't know why not. Since it is a civil matter they cannot issue a warrant for your arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back