16 Yr old decision on visitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvw0121

I have a visitation order (Tennessee) for every other weekend (fri-sun). My son is 16. His mother refuses to make him go with me when I arrive to pick him up. She states that he is 16 and he does not have to go if he does not want to visit. Can he make that decision at 16? If not, what can I do?

A 16 year old CANNOT decided if they want to come for visitation or not. It is your ex's obligation to make sure he comes. You need to file contempt of court for visitation. You should be making a list of every time you have called to set up visitation and whether he comes or not.

My husband's daughter decided to not come for a year but we filed contempt. We were paying support and she wasn't coming. We tried calling. We took our phone records in to prove we tried for about five months. The judge wrote in the papers that the fox was running the house and mother was letting her do whatever she wanted. She was told she would be in contempt if this happened again.

I would either hire an attorney or look into filing a pro se (do it yourself). Look up your child support guidelines.

Good Luck,
gearhart7

You would have to look up your state's child support guidelines. Most state's say 18 or graduated which ever comes last. But in Indiana, you have to pay support until 21 unless you can prove emancipation. It's your ex's obligationto make sure the child(ren) are ready for visitation. If not, file for contempt of visitation.

Good Luck,
gearhart7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back