Neighbor Ignores HOA rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

waverider

We bought our home approximately 16 months ago. We love our neighborhood because it is a small (35 home sites) tight-knit community. Most of the neighbors help each other, are friendly, and go out of their way to be kind . Recently, the lot next to us was developed and a home was built. 6 months or so later, the home sold to an investment couple from Louisiana. We see this couple one weekend a month--whenever they come up to check on the property.

My neighborhood has an HOA to keep the property values up and to make the neighborhood asthetically pleasing. All owners are required to pay the HOA dues, as stated in our buying contract when we purchased the house. The HOA has quarterly meetings to discuss expenditure of our dues on ways to improve the neighborhood. We also have HOA rules. The problem is that the new neighbors ignore the HOA rules and refuse to pay the HOA dues. Their fence is illegal, the placement of their shed as well as the cosmetics of the shed, are illegal. They leave their garbage can at the curb for a month without taking it up the driveway. (Since we live next door, we do the neighborly thing and take it up the driveway after it sat at the curb the first month they owned the home). Our city was on water restrictions this summer because of the drought and they refused to turn off their water sprikler (the city cited them twice and eventually shut their water off). These people are NOT friendly and never speak, even when we address them first.

Unfortunately, our HOA president has the spine of a jellyfish, so my husband and 2 other neighbors took it upon themselves to confront our new neighbor about violating the HOA laws and he waved them away and told them to get off his property. This "weekend" homeowner has merely invested in this property to flip it for quick profit and has no interest in maintaining a decent neighborhood. This is evident in their absence and their disregard for the rules of the HOA.

Do we, as property owners in the neighborhood, have any legal rights to enforce the HOA rules, or are they just there as a selling point for the neighborhood? I'm sure this couple would laugh at an HOA fine.

The only pleasure I take in this whole situation is the fact that the bottom has fallen out of the housing market and I don't believe they will make their money back, nor profit, anytime soon on this house. In the meantime, we are forced to endure their passive-aggressive homeownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back