Ask a Legal Question

Thanks

Publishing Race Photos For Profit?

Hi:

I'm torn between posting this here & on the Copyright, Trademark, Patent forum...

Anyway, here is my dilemma:

I recently attended a drag race hosted by the NHRA for which I paid for reserved seats etc.
    During this 3-day event, I took over 1000 digital pictures with my camera with the intention of eventually publishing them and producing merchandise from my images for profit. Intentions are to sell on both eBay & my own site.
    My pictures include drivers, crew members, side-by-side race shots, and individual race cars...

So, here's the question:
    Can I use those pictures as I so please (for profit), up to & not limited to publishing them in various forms AND producing items for sale such as calendars/screen-savers/mugs/T-shirts etc., WITHOUT risking getting in 'hot water' legally with the sanctioning body &/or the race teams and their sponsors?

The event was held in Virginia, and I have photos from 2006 & 2007.
    Iíve looked on the ticket stub (from Ticket-Master) for where it specifically says anything about the NHRA having any rights to my pictures, and it does not.

Since my local lawyers (small town) donít have a clue about this issue, your advice would be greatly appreciated...

HAPPY NEW-YEAR!

Best regards,
    DragNut349

Super Moderator Honorable Scholar

Thanks
    Do you have permission from the sponsors of the event?

If not, then you are out of luck.
    Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.

Ben Franklin