Bat infested rental unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

doghouse814

My daughter attends college in a nearby town and moved into a rental house with two other roomies last June. The beginning of August she started having visitations from bats! When I contacted the local health department looking for some answers, they advised that my daughter should go to a clinic and be checked out for rabies exposure and received the rabies vaccine as a prophylaxis to the possibility of being bit by a rabid bat! A housing inspector came and checked out her apartment and made notes and contacted the landlord to have them address some areas to try to curb the bat infestation. Well... the landlord made minimal effort in getting rid of the bats and they are still living inside the walls and attic space. They are still having bat visitations. Do these girls have any legal recourse? Can they get out of their lease? Which isn't up until the end of May 2008... The other thing is that the landlord plays on these young and naive kids and required them to write their monthly rent checks ahead of time and 'post date' them for the first of each month! Also, my insurance did pay for the rabies vaccines but I think the landlord should be responsible for that too... at the very least the $30 copayment that has to come out of my pocket. Appreciate the guidance... Candas

There will be no bugs in the house. Bats are good. God, rabbies very seldom, if has ever been documented, due to bats.

Why is the testing? What cases of rabies int he county? I'd worry more about the dog next door.

We worry about anthrax when the terro-us could drop bats on us?

Wow, where do you get your information? Bats can carry rabies, and there are documented cases of people dying from the bite of a rabid bat. Having a bat infestation in a home is asking for trouble. This person has a legitimate concern. Why bother to reply if you have no constructive advice to offer?

Your comparison to the dog next door is apples to oranges. One rabid dog next door is only a problem if the dog is not confined to the owner's property. A houseful of bats are occupying the same living quarters as this person's daughter. She is in close proximity to the bodily fluids of the bats, rabies is a virus, viruses are carried in bodily fluids, so any rabid bat in the house could potentially infect the girl. Again, why bother to reply if your only purpose is to insult and make fun of the person's post?

Doghouse814, please be patient. Sometimes it takes a while for a reply from someone familiar with real estate and rental law. In the meantime, you could try contacting the community housing authority again to let them know that the house is still infested.

Check state laws on habitability issues with regard to rental property AND talk to the inspector about what the landlord is required to do to mitigate the health consequences for the residents...sue the landlord in Small Claims Court for any out-of-pocket costs for your daughter's health issues....insurance is just that.

One rabid dog next door is only a problem if the dog is not confined to the owner's property. A houseful of bats are occupying the same living quarters as this person's daughter. She is in close proximity to the bodily fluids of the bats, rabies is a virus, viruses are carried in bodily fluids, so any rabid bat in the house could potentially infect the girl.
Thats pretty scientific. (aka paranoid) It's not like I said to pick one up and pet it, just pointed out it's not that big of a deal. I would be more concerned with the bugs around such as mosquito's, tics, mites, etc... that far outnumber bats. Clearly, if there were an infected bat, the bugs drew blood. I'll take my chances with one bat compaired to fifty thousand bugs that could possibly infect a person.

Accourding to Bat Conservation International, rabies from bats account for a wopping 1 death per year. I think you're pretty darn safe.

If you seen a bat laying on the floor, or didn't act like the others (maybe crawling on the floor) then you would want to be careful.

Thats pretty scientific. (aka paranoid) It's not like I said to pick one up and pet it, just pointed out it's not that big of a deal. I would be more concerned with the bugs around such as mosquito's, tics, mites, etc... that far outnumber bats. Clearly, if there were an infected bat, the bugs drew blood. I'll take my chances with one bat compaired to fifty thousand bugs that could possibly infect a person.

Accourding to Bat Conservation International, rabies from bats account for a wopping 1 death per year. I think you're pretty darn safe.

If you seen a bat laying on the floor, or didn't act like the others (maybe crawling on the floor) then you would want to be careful.

So, you are concerned with the bugs? Check out the Illinois Dept of Public Health info regarding bats:
http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcbats.htm
All of those bugs you fear are more likely to be present in a home that is infested with bats! Even Bat Conservation International recommends that bats be excluded from living quarters because of the risk of disease. You do a serious disservice to people needing advice with your half-truths and biased advice.

As to your penchant for calling names ("aka paranoid") and insulting people for no apparent reason, I have to wonder what leads you to behave this way. You seem to have a very narrow point of view that dismisses anything or anyone with a scientific, legal, governmental, or authoritative bent. You have insulted custodial mothers across the board as being money-hungry, referred to lawyers as shysters, and police officers as pigs. Most people grow out of these behaviors by the time they reach adulthood. Why haven't you? Why do you feel that you have to resort to this kind of behavior?

So, you are concerned with the bugs? Check out the Illinois Dept of Public Health info regarding bats:
http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcbats.htm
All of those bugs you fear are more likely to be present in a home that is infested with bats! Even Bat Conservation International recommends that bats be excluded from living quarters because of the risk of disease.

-You have insulted custodial mothers across the board as being money-hungry, referred to lawyers as shysters, and police officers as pigs.

Well, lets look at mice, rats, etc..., The chances of getting rabies, well, you'll have better luck winning the lotery or being hit in the head with falling airplane parts. ONE DEATH PER YEAR.

Well, you have your opinion, and I have my own, usually backed by facts. The difference is, you are the complaining, not me. Don't read it if you don't like it. If you can't understand or refuse to understand how the system operates, that is your problem, not mine. I"m not going to sugar coat it just to please you. If you knew how government REALLY operated, you'd be sick. There are times when you just can't be pleasant, but one can certainly be blunt.

Unbelievable! I'm not the only one complaining. Someone with a problem withdrew her post because of your reply. Rather than ignore or skip her post, you chose to humiliate her and belittle her problem. That's not blunt, that's just plain mean. The question is: Why do you feel compelled to do that to people? This forum is intended to help people, not humiliate them.

Your comment about facts is laughable. When presented with facts, you dance around them and pretend they're not there; or, you grasp on to some small insignificant, out-of-context part that you think supports your opinion. I do know how government really operates. I am not naive, but neither am I angry, bitter, narrow-minded, and immature.

My questions to you still remain. Why do you bother to post replies to problems for which you have no help to offer? Why do you need to resort to name-calling? What is really driving your behavior?

I am a college student, and I did live in a house for a year that was bat infested as well. I got the shots series once and no my insurance did not pay for it and it ended up costing a fortune. I did mention it to the landlord but he didn't really do anything about it. It was in Missouri, so once the summer months passed, the bats go away and didn't come back for the rest of the year (i left in May) I have no idea if there is a law about that, but it was a really old house and its hard to keep bats out of things like that! If the bats were there all year, I probably would have done something, but they left once the summer was gone. Nonetheless, I did lose $$ on those shots. And I might not have even needed them. I am very parenoid though....

My questions to you still remain. Why do you bother to post replies to problems for which you have no help to offer? Why do you need to resort to name-calling? What is really driving your behavior?

Oh, and did you mean "EAT, SLEEP, BREED, PAY TAXES"? Bread just doesn't make sense in your post, Ted.

Oh, and did you mean "EAT, SLEEP, BREED, PAY TAXES"? Bread just doesn't make sense in your post, Ted.

My question to you is, why do you bitch and complain on a web site built for legal matters? Your opinion means nothing. What facts have you provided?

Of course the last part was confusing you, sheeple. sorry lil lamb. Follow the posters.

When have you ever been in court against your government??? I have, I have scars on my body to prove it, I have over half the county who will prove it. What do you have??? Your opinion. Until you've been there, shut up, because you just don't know.

Let me re-word it for simpletons: Take a pill, drink bottled water, eat food from the store" . (She won't get it. Make-up and all)

scooter: EAT, SLEEP, BREAD, PAY TAXES. (Sheeple)

irish: Oh, and did you mean "EAT, SLEEP, BREED, PAY TAXES"? Bread just doesn't make sense in your post, Ted.

scooter: Let me re-word it for simpletons: Take a pill, drink bottled water, eat food from the store" . (She won't get it. Make-up and all)

eat, sleep, breed, pay taxes... that's a pretty common saying. are you trying to make a new saying, or change its meaning? or don't you really know what it means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back