Dealership Tells Me To Sign A New Contract Or Else :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhed

I currently reside in Indiana, the vehicle is from a dealership in Nevada.

Sorry in advance for the long post. I understand if you don't want to read it lol.

I bought a vehicle in Nevada about a month ago. At the time, I was aware that there was a good chance that I might not be residing in Nevada very long (I just didn't know what was going to happen).

I informed this dealership of my situation before I even looked at a car on their lot. They coaxed me into buying a car anyways. The dealership and I both signed a contract, and I gave them a downpayment of $600.

They told me the contract would be finalized by the bank in 7-10 business days.

Two weeks later they call me for $300 more. I tell them I cannot afford it, but he couldn't take no for an answer. I ask is this required by the bank, he tells me no, the car is already financed and it is a done deal, but that they took a loss on the vehicle and this is to make up for it and will lower my monthly payments (which made no sense to me). He gets me to sign a "Hold Check" form to post date a check. But after thinking on it some more, I tell him I'm not doing it and never bring in a check to hold.

Then it all happens, I am forced to leave the place I was residing in without a minute's notice, and become homeless instantly (sparing the details). I drive the car back to Indiana to the only home I have.

The dealership gets ahold of me, asking for the check. I tell them I will not be doing one, I simply do not have the money. I tell them an emergency situation arose and that I am now back in Indiana. He says he'll give me a call back.

The next day the manager of the dealership calls me and threatens me to send the car back, that they did not give me permission to take their car, and that the deal was never funded. I told him I was informed it was and I have a signed contract stating it was, with my first payment due date in December. He tells me that I haven't paid them their $300, I am now unemployed, I have a new residency, and that now because of this nothing matches on the original contract that never got funded and to either get a job in 3 days or give him his car back.

So, I desperately rush to get a job, I hadn't yet gotten a response back from the ones I had already applied to when I got back, so I went to a temporary agency and they found me a job that day. I provide all info to the dealership.

They send me a new contract that did not simply reflect my new address, but also showed a new car price, higher interest rate, new monthly payments, and it said that I gave them a $900 down payment, of which I did not. I called them and told them I do not feel comfortable signing a contract that reflects false information. He tells me they simply included the $300 in the down payment, of which was covered by them. I tell them that this contract doesn't say they paid the additional $300, it says that I paid them $900 and I did not.

After arguing and being harassed endlessly by this dealership, they tell me that they will just "waive" the $300. I tell them to send me an accurate contract reflecting so as well as a contract that shows the correct down payment. He then gave a speal about how I don't like to save money and to end all this just cut a check to the dealership for the $300 and sign the new contract.

I told him he can come pick up his car. He says he will speak with his boss and get back to me. I haven't heard from them in almost 2 days.

Now, someone please tell me my rights in this situation. Am I obligated to sign a new contract with different terms for the same vehicle? Also, am I right in being hesitant in signing a contract that says something that did not take place? I did not pay them $900 down, and my guess is that once I sign that contract I will be held liable to make up the difference of the $900 that I shouldn't have had to pay in the first place since there was an original binding contract that didn't have it.

Also, if a contract from a dealership doesn't get funded by a bank, does that somehow void the original contract?

If I refuse this new contract and they cannot get the old contract funded, what happens with this vehicle? Do they have to pick it up or do I have to pay to have it shipped back? Do I have to pay for the mileage that is now on the car? It has never been titled because the dealership still has it and they have not held their end of the original contract nor have I signed this new contract. Since it has never been titled, that still makes it new, right? So does that make me responsible for its now used condition if I do return the vehicle?

In my defense, I was lied to from the beginning that the car was financed, and it was just the timing of everything. Of course, I didn't intend to become homeless and have to leave my great job out in Vegas, but things happen. Had I been informed that the vehicle had in fact NOT been financed, I wouldn't have used it to get me home. I assumed it was my vehicle as the contract stated and that my first payment was due as stated on the contract December 28th.

I honestly do not know what to do, as this is my first experience in buying a car from a dealership, and I was suckered into a deal that should have never happened. I feel like I'm being punished for their lies and things out of my control....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back