Irrevocable trust question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbnurse

My dad is quite wealthy and he set up an irrevocable trust so if his wife(my stepmom) remarried after his death, then her new husband could not take the money meant for his children (me and 2 brothers). Since then, my father and I have become estranged. I no longer want to be involved in his trust. Every year he sends me and my brothers papers to sign authorizing the withdrawal of funds from the trust in order to pay a life insurance premium somehow connected to the trust. From the start, he was tightlipped about the trust and told me very little about it. I feel stupid because I did not have someone advise me before I got involved in it, but at the time everything was okay with the family. What exactly is my position in this trust since I have to sign to authorize the withdrawal of money? Can I get out of this? If he takes no action to remove me from the trust after I've asked, can I do something myself to reject any claim to his estate? Any help would be appreciated as I am navigating in the dark. Thanks. This trust was started in Kentucky.

Last edited:
Thanks lwpat. Unfortunately, me not wanting the money does not stop them from sending papers I don't want to sign. They threaten me when I hold the papers too long. I don't feel comfortable being involved in their finances, yet they refuse to stop sending them. I guess I will consult a local lawyer for a more in-depth answer, but thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back