SOL for a DBA Debt - MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

niceguy11

Hi there,

Back in Oct. I was contacted by a collection agency for a 1996 debt I had when i had a DBA. I sent the a debt validation letter and they did verify the debt with the original paperwork, the date of it was 10-96 and I did have a judgment filed in April of 98 against me for this debt.

Does anyone know where or how to see if there is a SOL for a dba debt in Missouri and if there isn't, what recourse does this collection agency have.

Thanks in advance

Missouri Statutes of Limitation

Written agreement that contemplates the payment of money or property: 10 Years, (Mo.Rev. Stat. §5l6.ll 0). NOTE: Under certain circumstances, the contractual statute of limitations may be reduced to five years.

Open accounts: 5 years, (Mo. Rev. Stat. §5l6.l20).

Sale of goods under the UCC: 4 years. NOTE: The statute begins to run from the date when the breach occurred for contracts and from the time of the last item in the account on the debtor's side for actions on accounts.

Thanks for the quick reply. pardon my ignorance, but i just want to confirm this SOL applies to dba debt and is the best way to contact them is a certified letter stating the SOL has run out with the statute number.

Additonal info, not sure if this matters but it was a lease agreement and last payment was probably in spring of 97.

Thanks again!!

Ok, i did find out the SOL does include business debt in Missouri, which in this case has run out but... i did have a judgment against me in April of 98 and the time frame on this is 10 years and is not renewable but it did say this.. Domestic Judgment: 10 years (renewable every 3 years)

so my question is does the judgment have to be renewed every 3 years to be enforceable with a maximum of 10 years total to collect or do they have 10 years from the time it was given. and if that is the case, my time is up in 4 months, what can this CA do to me in the meantime before this expires.

Thanks again, appreciate the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back