SUFFOLK CO NY CHILD SUPPORT legal representation pro bono/ appointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_fielding

In sum, I really need a Suffolk County attorney who would take my child support case. I've been summoned to court in Central Islip on Nov. 3 to show why I haven't paid $1100. -- and if I miss-step I can be thrown in prison for up to 6 months. This latter threat is in print on the summons, but more frightening it was stated to me (acting pro se) the last time I came before this particular hearing examiner.

This amount is for my ten year old son -- who spent all of August with me, etc etc and not my daughter, now 18, who I raised solo when my ex-wife left 7 years ago -- since nothing (my perennial hearing examiner maintains) has changed since the 2001 order. That is, filling bankruptcy and receiving Medicaid doesn't count as a change in circumstance. And the fact that I have not been able to produce the imputed income judged in 2001 to be $70,000. is willful on my part. All this was said last year by this examiner against whom I filed a complaint citing her errors of fact and uneven treatment (not a good move). The clerk wrote back to say that yes she made large errors, but since she was there, she must have known best.

I have contacted law clinics here in Manhattan where I live now and in Suffolk County and the Bar out there. Following all leads I have learned that most pro bono programs are closed, except those remaining open to represent those who are to be paid child support. Nothing seems to be available for those who have been ordered to pay.

If, before the early November appearence date, I cannot find competent and independent representaion, this examiner -- I cannot get her replaced --might name a real loser or a buddy to represent me ... just for old time's sake.

HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back