Suffolk County Ny Child Support Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

katrina

Hi,

I receive child support for my daughter, who is 20 and a full time college student. The amount of support was established in 1999 when I still lived on Long Island. I have since moved to Florida where I have continued to receive my support checks directly from the Suffolk County Child Support Unit in Happauge. There has never been a problem with the checks--they arrive every two weeks. (They are taken from my ex husbands paycheck).

My question is this. I know child support in NY ends when the child turns 21, but continues if they are a full time college student beyond that age.

My daughter will turn 21 in May of 2003. She will still have another couple of years of college. (If it matters, she attended a year of community college here in Florida and then transferred to a state university in New York).

Will the child support checks stop on her 21st birthday automatically? Is there something I have to do to make sure they do not stop as I will still need support help as long as she is a full time college student. Here in Florida, unless you specifically apply for child support to end, they still keep taking the support money out of the non-custodial parent's paycheck.

Trying to contact the support office is not possible by phone. I was going to write then a letter when I stumbled upon this site and decised to give it a try.

I know the support order is reviewed periodically. I don't know if mine has been, it has been four years since I have been recieving support and the amount has not changed, though I took quite a cut in pay by moving to Florida, I never asked for revision. (Probably should have).

I need to know in advance if there is something I have to do to let the court know that the child in question is and will continue to be a full time college student for a while longer. I seem to recall that support can continue till 22 or 23 under those circumstances. Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back