Purchasing a vehicle without the title

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckydog

I have the opportunity of buying a vehicle for a rock-bottom price with no title. I do not need the title though, as I intend on using it for parts.

I suspect the vehicle may have a lien on it, or the title has been pawned, or something of that nature, because the original title holders are selling the vehicle for a fraction of what the vehicle is worth, just without the title.

My question is, if I get a bill of sale signed by the original title holder stating that the vehicle is being sold for $xxx without title, am I legally protected? If I had that I would have proof that the vehicle was not stolen, correct?

Also, if there is a lien on the vehicle, can the lien holder take the car from me?

Thank you for your time.

That vehicle is useless, except as an ornament in your drive way, without that title. God forbid if it's stolen, you won't like that.

Find out where the title is, and touch it, look at it and make sure it is the real deal.

I understand that the vehicle is "useless" without the title, in terms of being able to license and drive it. However, my plans for the vehicle do not include driving it. All I want to do is disassemble it and use the parts to repair another.

If I have a bill of sale with the current title holder's signature, VIN of the vehicle, and I pay with a personal check so that I have proof of payment, is that enough to prove that the vehicle was not stolen?

It's not that you have to prove it is NOT stolen, it would be the state that would have to prove it WAS stolen.

No one can say for sure whether the items you indicate would prove to a court you did not steal it. But, speaking from a cop's perspective - and, provided the previous registered owner can be contacted to verify things - I would say that the chances of you being charged would be slim to none.

You will almost certainly have to register the transfer of title through the DMV, so be sure you know what papers are needed for that transfer. Different states have different rules on the subject, and it might be that if the car is simply junk, you may not need to do much at all.

- Carl

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

I don't think the current title holder will be willing to help me with the title transfer paperwork. Will I need to do that if the vehicle will be used for parts only?

Also, how would I go about making sure there is no lien on the vehicle without having the title? I can get the VIN if that would help at all...

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

I don't think the current title holder will be willing to help me with the title transfer paperwork. Will I need to do that if the vehicle will be used for parts only?
You will have to check witht he DMV in your state to see what might be needed to complete this sale. Who knows, if you never intend to put it on the roadway, you may not need anything - there may be a junk process you can go through.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back