Multiple residence - prayer for judgment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surflaunch

I own property in three states, Florida, North Carolina & Virginia and have resided at each of them over the past thirty years for various times. I currently live and work at both the Fl and one of the NC properties alternately several months at a time. I converted my Va. license to Fl in 1982 but did get a NC. license for a short time in 1996 but then converted it back to FL in 1997 because the insurance company said they couldn't cover me and my wife on the same policy with her FLorida license and my NC license.
I recently got a speeding ticket about a mile from one of my NC properties (60 in a 45) my last speeding ticket was in 1996. When I presented my Florida license, the officer asked how long I had been in NC. I told him I had been here for about two months this trip and was going back right after the holidays in January. After waiting about a half hour on the side of the road, he came back with a citation for the speeding and one for not changing my license to NC within 60 days of moving here. He said if I got a NC license the citation for not changing it over could be dropped by talking to the DA's office and I could request a prayer for judgement on the speeding since I had a very good record report back on his system.

My question is: do I have to have a NC license to apply for the Prayer for judgement in NC and if I change my license back to Florida in February how will that affect the Prayer for judgment in NC if at all.
Also, is there a provision for multistate residence that would allow me to meet the law and not have to lie to an officer about how long I have been somewhere if I get stopped again or do I have to change my license back and forth every few months to be legal? That would probably drive my Ins company crazy or give them another reason to charge me more. Seems like there should be a way to be legal and multi state.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back