North Carolina driver gets ticket in VA. Implications

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcu62

On Sunday, January 17th, I was driving home to Asheville, NC from Pennsylvania. In Harrisonburg, VA was was pull over and ticketed.
Offense:
Law Section 46.2-870 - Speeding 80/65 S-Radar.
The fine is not my concern, but the possiblility of a spended license in North Carolina - See following:

Under § 20 16 of North Carolina. Authority of Division to suspend license.
(a) The Division shall have authority to suspend the license of any operator with or without a preliminary hearing upon a showing by its records or other satisfactory evidence that the licensee:
(10) Has been convicted of operating a motor vehicle at a speed in excess of 75 miles per hour on a public road or highway where the maximum speed is less than 70 miles per hour;

Question (1)
According to the statute, if I plead guilty I should expect a notice of suspension from North Carolina?

Question (2)
Does Virgina have a Prayer for Judgement?

Question (3)
If Virginia has a Prayer for Judgement, but I have a previous traffic violation in North Carolina (Following to Close) in January of 2007. Does this present a problem?

Question (4)
Is there another avenue to pursue other than Prayer for Judgement? Is there a lessor charge I should explore?

Question (5)
Should I represent myself?

Question (5)
Would I be best retaining an attorney, or am I just wasting my time? It is a 6 hour drive from my home and I don't want to waste my time and money if there is no hope.

If I Plead guilty and receive a Suspension Notice from North Carolina Under § 20 16 of North Carolina

(11)...However, if the Division revokes without a preliminary hearing and the person whose license is being revoked requests a hearing before the effective date of the revocation, the licensee retains his license unless it is revoked under some other provision of the law, until the hearing is held, the person withdraws his request, or he fails to appear at a scheduled hearing.

Question (6)
What are my chances of succeeding in retaining my license?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back