Supplemental Complaint Regarding Parental Obligations

Status
Not open for further replies.

amypolnoff

Can anyone tell me what an Answer to Complaint or Supplemental Complaint Regarding Parental Obligations is?
I was receiving a very minimal temporary support amount from the ex while divorce was in the midst of the nasty process.
I had to go to Welfare because ex would not step up and help out in an effort to financially choke me off so I would have to give physical custody of the children to him.
Welfare was paying me and taking the money ordered by court out of his paychecks. When we finalized the divorce, I finally gave physical custody to ex and I was ordered to receive family and spousal support. The county began collecting the money from ex's paycheck and, the money has not yet been collected for the first month, I all of a sudden receive from his attorney this form.
I can't ask my attorney cause ex rang up a $10,000 bill playing legal games in order to try and take the children from me so he quit. I have no idea if I am supposed to respond to "oppose the lawsuit" or if it is against the county. His attorney filed the form naming the petitioner/plaintiff as County of San Joaquin and the respondent/defendant as my ex and I am listed as the other parent.
The declaration is stating that I filed for aid while two of our five children lived with him when I applied for aid. It states the visitation and says that when I applied for aid there was a child support order in place that he was paying and now he has sole physical custody of all and there is a new child support order in judgment of dissolution.
Should I respond to this?

Yes, you should respond!

If I understand the situation, then I think your ex is trying to reduce his child support payments because 2 of the children were living with him. If he is making payments to a child support agency to repay the support that you received from the agency, then he may be asking that you become responsible for repaying part of the money owed, because, apparently, you were receiving payments for 5 children even though only 3 of them lived with you. Otherwise, he may be seeking to reduce his payments to you.

I am not a lawyer, so this is not an expert opinion. I do know that if you do not respond, the petition will be granted by default. That is stated in the summons. It is also stated that you can request a court-appointed lawyer, or go to the "Family Law Facilitator" or court clerk for help in filling out the Answer form.

Choose one of the three options for help, fill out the Answer form, and file it within 30 days of the date you received the summons. If you don't, a judgment will be made without your input, and will probably cost you money.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back