Hostile Work Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom02

Hello everyone.

Recently I was accused at work of having an affair with a female member. I work for a major company and have 90 people that work under my direction. 2 4 months ago a position came available and The director and I decided to promote a female member that had been working as a back up person in the position for the past 2 years.

We ran into a snag over a technicality, we were able to iron it out and promote the member. Several rumors started circulating that she had obtained the position since because she was on her knees. I informed my boss about it and he responded that we didn't have proof on the person that started the rumor and couldn't act on it.

A director position opened up in my area and I interviewed and made the final cut to take the position it was clear that I would be the one receiving the promotion. I had planned a vacation to Las Vegas and then I would resume my new assignment. Well It was postponed and I wasn't told why. All I was told position is still available and we are looking at all possible candidates. Which I was o.k. at this point I figured they might have someone better for the position.

Last Thursday I get hit with this accusation. They have not been able to interview the member in question since she has not returned back from her family emergency. They now believe that I am trying to keep her away from work so she will not say anything. I explained to him her situation and why she was out of the country she will be back this Friday 11/23/07 and I will be cleared.

I've never felt this way before where my integrity was questioned and gossip is circulating the work place. I feel like my reputation has been damaged. I am still an authority figure at my work. But I feel uneasy at work afraid of doing my job, thinking that someone else will take a cheap shoot at me. This whole process has made me feel like am guilty until proven innocent. My D.M. hasn't called and I feel like I was left out to dry.

I've always kept my distance with all my members as they always invite me to hang out socially. I've acomodated all my members in any way that I could with their schedules. I've been fair with males and females taking into consideration all their requests.

I am stuck here feeling lost and uneasy. I have a great wife and she has supported me through this disturbing and painful strain on my being. What should I do. I'm ready to sue the individual if I ever find out who he/she is. And as well as my company. Not for investigating the matter. Just for making my situation unhealthy. I would of rather been accused of robbing a bank. At least there I would of been innocent until proven guilty. Any advice?

Thank You.

Just for clarification purposes, if you are not being subjected to sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII, you are not, legally, in a hostile work environment. Being suspected of harassing someone does not qualify, even if the suspicion is incorrect.

At this point, your best bet is to ride out the investigation, being as cooperative as possible with any questions or investigations that may come up. Hopefully you will be entirely cleared. If not, when we know the eventual outcome we will be in a better position to advise you of your next step, (which will depend on the final disposition of it).

Wow your taking this very personal,contact an attorney tell them you are about to go through the company investigation. He could give you tips on how to proceed,a good company investigation should show this whole thing for what it is,"a rumor". Depending how aggressive management is in finding out who started it is different matter. They may feel satisfied that just dismissing it as rumor is satisfactory.

Some company investigations are run efficiently,other times they are just a rubber stamp to dismiss someone. You should have some idea going in to it what type it is.

As I reflect on the situation. I fill this way due to the investigation. I have nothing to hide and have been very cooperative, just the fact the investigator is treating me like i'm guilty is what is bothering me. I will get through this. I am the Co-director of our location. People are looking and talking about the rumor and now it makes me uncomfortable since it is not true. I will ride it out and review the outcome.

It would not hurt to consult with an Lawyer,it may give you piece of mind.

Well the investigation seems to be coming to a close. I don't know what the outcome will be. What I do know is that everyone they spoke to said the truth and. And it is being discarded as a rumor. The investigator asked about a few times that I went out with a few guys from my company. They don't work at my location but are friends. He asked them where we went and who was with us. That being my personal time and my personal life what does it matter.

The only compliant I truly have about this. Is my reputation he had to talk to several people about this. Even though it's not true just the fact that people found out about the accusation bothers me. It was an anonymous call so there is no one to hold accountable for the accusation. I disagree with the form that the investigation took place. I was up for a promotion and it was no placed on hold due to this. My DM said he was still considering the candidates. I was basically a shoe in for the position. If I don't get it I'm ok. with it, the only thing that bothers me is that we know someone started this rumor to stop my promotion. It seems to have worked. Any advice?

Last update. They have not came back to me ever since I was interviewed in the investigation. My boss tells me that it's good since they probably saw what I was telling them was true. They are sticking to that the person that called it in was anonymous they will not disclose who started the rumor. What I did find out is that the person who stated that they saw me kiss the member in question. Now stated that he thought he saw something. He changed his story. The person felt guilty about what he said and went to let me boss know. I told my boss that he needed to report it and I want the person to be fired for defamination of character. I'm I wrong because of this? This was there key witness besides the female they were accusing me with in this case. Obviously the girl said it wasn't true as well.

just looking for some thoughts.

Thank you.

It is not your right to decide whether the person should be fired or not. I don't blame you for feeling that way but they are under no legal obligation to do so. Nor are they required by any law to tell you what action they do take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back