The Americans with Disability Act (ADA) & Law School Discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

akc4040

I am currently a second year law student and a lurker of the forum (although never thought I'd write in). But your advice has shown an empathy that is not present at my school and I don't where else to go, as I've exhausted my options here (as well as my own patience). I am hoping I can stop worrying about being outed bc of some weird First Amendment exception long enough to (hopefully anonymously) ask your advice about a highly personal matter. I'm not trying to "out" my school or threaten legal action - I just don't know if I can gather the strength to fight for help that I need when i don't know if I'm entitled to receive it.

A very difficult situation arose this semester. My father has been getting sicker since August. I've missed a lot of class and spent a lot of time at home with him, as well as attending job interviews in that same geographical area. To complicate matters, over 6 years ago I was diagnosed with ADD and Panic Disorder, whiche have been exarcebated by this to say the least. I didn't get a lot out of the classes that I did attend and am really far behind in all of them (hundreds of pages).

I approached the dean two weeks into school regarding my father, who informed me that I should have told him earlier and to inform my professors on my own immediately. He offered to discuss dropping down to part time or a leave of absence, neither of which encouraged me to inform him of my disabilities. On my own accord, I proceeded to the main university's disability office (pursuant to the law school's stated policy in my student "rights" handbook that one is to disclose disabilities to main campus and that the law school will have no say in providing accommodations).

The main campus' disability office was less than understanding - they presented me with insurmountable standards to obtain accommodations, like sitting through hours of costly tests that are not covered by insurance (although my psychiatrist advised that this was ridiculous bc a clinical diagnosis was customary and met the American Psychiatric Association's DSM requirements -and those 8 hr tests were a recent development and given to young children ONLY when doctors were unsure about alternate diagnosis due to their youth).

They also failed to provide a reasonable or acceptable level of confidentiality: I apparently would have to confront my professors in person with the request for accommodations, who would then approve/disapprove the request as they saw fit. Additionally, the disability office would provide my confidential information to other people on "a need to know basis" and did not require my consent for release. So I declined to take them up on these wonderful accomodations and tried to deal with it on my own.

But now, I've let the initial problem snowball and it's now much worse than the beginning of the semester (when i first spoke to the dean). On top of my father's ailing health and the pressure of fall recruitment commitments, I also failed to realize that I transferred to a school that does not provide a reading period before finals, which is the last straw.

I am very unclear as to what my rights are under the ADA and/or the student handbook. I have no energy to fight for disabilities that I am embarrassed and ashamed of in the first place if I'm not entitled to them. If anyone could provide advice about the ADA, confidentiality/informed consent to release medical information, or breach of student handbooks, then I'd be very grateful.

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back