evict freeloading relative

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrinaJ

I live in a home owned by my mother. She lives in a condominium elsewhere. The home is to be given to me when my mother passes. My 22 year old neice and her 3 year old daughter were homeless and I let them come stay here in june of this year. It was to be only a temporary situation for a few weeks until she got back on her feet. She is still here and I have been told that I couls face legal consequences if I try to make her leave. She applied for public assistance using this address, which I have been told established this as her residence. She does not pay rent or monies of any sort to the expenses for the home. What can I do to get her out of this house legally?

Q: What can I do to get her out of this house legally?

A: Sue her under the landlord-tenant laws in your state.

Serve her with an eviction notice. You will need to research the landlord tenant act in your state to see how you can legally do it but you would be advised to give her 30 days to move. You might have to go to court to formally evict her. You can also start charging her rent 30 days from now, let her know that rent starts accumulating at .00 per day.

I do feel a little sorry for the young child. Is it possible you can contact the childs father and let him know how dire the situation is for mom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back