when is posting pictures on the internet illegal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicb2004

i have a scorned ex-boyfriend who is threatening to post or send out nude pictures of me. i was not underage and they were consensually taken, but i have NEVER given permission for him to show any other person. also, when they were taken, they were taken for only his and my enjoyment, it was always known that they were for private use only. a friend of my family told me about a case recently in my county that involved a man being arrested for posting pictures on the internet of a woman with out her consent. i have not been able to find that story, but if i could it would be very helpful in showing him that he would not be able to get away with doing this. i would really appreciate any help in this situation!

thank you,
:concerned:

i have a scorned ex-boyfriend who is threatening to post or send out nude pictures of me. i was not underage and they were consensually taken, but i have NEVER given permission for him to show any other person. also, when they were taken, they were taken for only his and my enjoyment, it was always known that they were for private use only. a friend of my family told me about a case recently in my county that involved a man being arrested for posting pictures on the internet of a woman with out her consent. i have not been able to find that story, but if i could it would be very helpful in showing him that he would not be able to get away with doing this. i would really appreciate any help in this situation!

thank you,
:concerned:

First, I am not a lawyer. :)

From what I know he can legally use them for personal use. However if he posts them anywhere that rewards him for posting them, you would have him in at least a civil matter as he does not have a model release.

I know 'reward' is vague, but there's a reason. Usually it is only considered some sort of financial gain, but that could be muddied up by the DMCA which essencially allowed for 'mutual sharing' to be counted as a financial gain/reward in order to aid copyright holders against music/video uploaders.

The best suggestion I have for you would be to contact a local lawyer for a consultation, which many may do for free.

Gotta be careful who you let take pictures of you. Typically it'll end up coming back to haunt you one way or another. Sorry to hear about your situation. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back