Can I sue my employer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjmcneill

On January 15th 2007 at 10:05 pm I was leaving work and slipped and fell on ice in the parking lot. I suffered a broken fiblula and completely tore my patella tendon from the bone. I was home for six months and lost out on overtime pay and I could not contribute to my retirement. I work for the federal government and was compensated "somewhat" by OWCP. But now I'm back at work on light duty and my co-workers are making three times what I'm making with overtime and shift differential. Do I have a valid lawsuit, I feel that the parking lot should have been cleared. I just want to be compensated for my injury my knee and my life will never be the same again.

tjmcneill
Seattle, WA

Did the federal government put ice on the parking lot?

Did the federal government make you fall?

Who owns the parking lot?

In 99.9999999999% of cases, workers comp is your SOLE remedy.

I see nothing in your post to suggest that you are part of that extremely rare minority.

The federal Bureau of prisons owns the property an Agency of the department of justice. Since I'm an employee does that mean I have no right to relief? What if it had been someone visiting a detainee or inmate? I just wanna know what I can do.

Last edited:
Will they take my pain and suffering into consideration when doing my scheduled award, it's been 8 months since my injury and I can still barely walk up and down stairs without assistance.

That's not a question I can answer since I've never dealt with w/c in your state.

Since you are a federal employee you do not fall under state W.C laws,you fall under FECA
(Federal Employees' Compensation Act). Its a little different set up.
http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/owcp/feca810m.htm
The act is much more liberal than State W.C schemes,it provides those covered as an exclusive remedy for claims against the United States. The amount is calculated by the employees monthly pay,disputed claims are handled administratively under the D.O.L

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back